The Sewing Place

**¡¡¥#! (Insert your own expletive)

Ploshkin

**¡¡¥#! (Insert your own expletive)
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »
I found some extra wide backing fabric for my mystery quilt.  Quilt is 50" square, fabric 108" - perfect.  One metre, cut in half, two pieces 54" wide joined together, a good 2" to play with each side and a decent bit of spare fabric for something else.
When I sandwiched the quilt I found that it must have been a bit of a fantasy 108" because I only had about 3/4" each side.  I wasn't too bothered as I wasn't intending doing a lot of squiggly, dense quilting.
It's all going swimmingly, just one side left to quilt when I noticed the information strip along the selvedge - except that it's not on the selvedge!  It's a *****ing great 1/2" wide, 15" long white strip (on dark fabric naturally) that extends 1 1/4" into the body of the fabric.  Inevitably, that is the edge that the top drifted towards during the sandwiching process.  Is it going to be covered by the binding?  Of course it *****ing well isn't.
I was going to cut a strip off and sew on a new bit but that required taking out part of some of the quilting lines - I wouldn't have been happy with it anyway.  So, I've finished the quilting and now have to come up with a creative way of dealing with it.  I think I'll let it simmer for a couple of hours.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

Re: **¡¡¥#! (Insert your own expletive)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:40:21 AM »
Oh Plosh, how infuriating!  I would have been in tears!

I hope you have fired off a very, very stern email!!  :angry:

Hope you get it sorted.

:drink: :flower: <3
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
Aaaaaand that's why we label our quilts!!!

Sew a lovely label and applique over the top and Voila .... No problem!!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
Oh no...how absolutely blooming awful for you. Could you perhaps just consider it a quirk of design and a "conversation point"?! Note...as I type this I'm ducking my head anticipating the object you are probably considering throwing at me! :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:54:52 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
I agree with Iminie - you will have a long, narrowish label on that quilt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 13:12:16 PM »
  :o :o :o
What a PITA.   :S

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 13:52:56 PM »
A long, narrow label would have to be exceedingly long or in 2 bits as I cut the fabric in half and joined it and there was an offending bit next to the other selvedge too.
I've decided to cut down the width of the border, which was quite narrow anyway, so that the binding covers the unwanted bit.
Life's too short for ironing.