The Sewing Place

Rulers and Curves

Sewbee

Re: Rulers and Curves
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »
BTW if any of you are coming into Manchester for the Christmas markets it is definitely worth a visit to the craft emporium that is Fred Aldous on the corner of Stevenson Square. It's also very near Abakhan.  :devil: In fact  I would just come into Manchester for Fred Aldous and Abakhan and not bother with the Christmas markets.  :D :D

Brenda, I'm loving all those decimal places!

Oohhh!! What a good idea! When do they start and exactly where in Manchester do they have them? Hopefully, close to the main railway station down town.

Tamnymore

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
Well the markets are on now - started two or three weeks back - and they finish a few days before Christmas They are in Market Street, St Anne's Square, Cross Street and thereabouts. One would take a tram to Market Street from Manchester Piccadilly (or walk - about 10 minutes) but they are nearer Manchester Victoria. They will probably be pretty similar to the Christmas markets in Edinburgh, which I guess is a lot nearer for you, Sewbee.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 13:10:55 PM »
Well the markets are on now - started two or three weeks back - and they finish a few days before Christmas They are in Market Street, St Anne's Square, Cross Street and thereabouts. One would take a tram to Market Street from Manchester Piccadilly (or walk - about 10 minutes) but they are nearer Manchester Victoria. They will probably be pretty similar to the Christmas markets in Edinburgh, which I guess is a lot nearer for you, Sewbee.

They have a farmers market through the year in Edinburgh and they do have a Christmas Market that used to be on Princes St but it seems to have moved to George St. I doubt they have anything craft related, though. Plus you still have to get a bus - and then walk a ways - to any fabric shop.  I might plan a trip to Glasgow, though.

I'm feeling a bit housebound or local-community bound so it's time to plan a trip but every time I think about it, I remember the cold weather. :(

sewingj

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 13:29:21 PM »
Jessie - thanks so much for the link to that video - it`s really helpful.  I hadn`t come across fit2stitch before but there are several other videos which  I want to watch now

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 14:14:23 PM »
Sewbee, you should visit Mandors in Glasgow.

Holly Berry

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 23:48:48 PM »
I too would recommend the Fred Aldous Pattermaker, via Amazon.

I can remember going with my Mum to Fred Aldous’s for basket weaving cane and lampshade frames. I seem to recall it was under the railway arches in Manchester.
Procrastination get behind me

SkoutSews

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »
This video by Peggy Sagers should help.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUG3P31BqNw
Jessie

Thanks for that link, Jessie.  I have bumbled around with the french curve for a while now, thinking it useful, but the video shows how it should be done and is very helpful.

Tamnymore

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
Holly Berry. Ahem  :D that must have been a long time ago as I discovered it about 25 years ago when I was looking for plastic beans to make fake beanie babies (the things my kids had me do) and it has been in its present location on the corner of Stevenson Square all that time.

Holly Berry

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Holly Berry. Ahem  :D that must have been a long time ago as I discovered it about 25 years ago when I was looking for plastic beans to make fake beanie babies (the things my kids had me do) and it has been in its present location on the corner of Stevenson Square all that time.

It was, I’ve lived in Kent since 1983. Manchester is now very alien to me, it’s changed so much. I’m still very proud to be a Mancunian though.
Procrastination get behind me