The Sewing Place

stay-stitching query

sewingj

stay-stitching query
« on: December 04, 2017, 15:12:13 PM »
When stay-stitiching a neckline why do patterns tell you to do it in two parts (e.g. shoulder edge to centre front)?

Does it really make a difference?

I`m afraid I usually ignore this and whizz round from shoulder to shoulder

toileandtrouble

Re: stay-stitching query
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 16:22:43 PM »
Moving the fabric throught the machine pulls it slightly.  The stress will be even on both sides if you do it in two parts so it keeps it symmetrical. (there's probably a neater way to say this)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

jen

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 17:35:32 PM »
Instead of stay stitching I use a narrow masking tape in the seam allowance on many necklines in difficult stretchy fabric, putting it on the cloth before lifting the cut pieces from the table. It's especially useful on long Vee necklines and wrap overs.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 17:42:13 PM »
I can't really help as I treat stay stitching as an optional extra - I don't generally do it  :|  Seems to work out ok  :)

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 18:38:45 PM »
When stay-stitiching a neckline why do patterns tell you to do it in two parts (e.g. shoulder edge to centre front)?
Does it really make a difference?

It's called Directional Stitching (and includes stay stitching)
It from Couture sewing methods and the purpose is to ensure accuracy and minimise distortion (especially when the fabric edge is off the grain as with curves) to help produce a high quality garment.
It's one of a range of techniques used to control the effect of the machine's feed dogs on fabric, especially fine or stretchy fabrics.  As machine technology has improved over the years, especially on high end machines, the tendency for distortion or fabric creep has reduced.  Even so, it's useful to know when to pull it out of the tool kit when it matters or you have a troublesome fabric.
http://yesterdaysthimble.com/directional-stitching/
https://www.thespruce.com/basic-directional-stitching-2978446

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 18:52:02 PM by Morgan »

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 18:51:58 PM »
Thanks All
I am trying to sew "properly" these days so I guess I had better start doing it!

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 20:38:57 PM »
Sewingj, thank you for asking this, I've learnt a lot.  There's useful information in those replies, proper sewing knowledge indeed.  Just what I need and look for on TSP.