The Sewing Place

Chat

maisie

Chat
« on: March 08, 2017, 23:24:51 PM »
Where is the chat button?  Can't see it.

Lilian

Re: Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 23:29:06 PM »
It should be at the bottom right of the page.  It says 'Chat' then a number in brackets, that is who is there.   :D
Willing but not always able :)

MrIminei

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 23:49:20 PM »
Where is the chat button?  Can't see it.

Hi Maisie
When we were canvassing opinion about what people wanted from a new forum a few conflicting ideas came up - no advertising, a gallery, and live chat. Live chat and a gallery consume a lot of storage and bandwidth, which means more expensive hosting. No advertising (which personally I think is a good thing) means we have to fund the forum some other way.
In order to achieve our aims without advertising we decided to opt for subscription instead, at £1 per month or £10 per year. We certainly don't want to exclude anybody, but thought the subscriptions are reasonable and affordable.
If you are a subscriber you will see the chat button and be able to post photos to the gallery. May I suggest that if you want to try it but are not sure you take a monthly subscription? You can cancel if you decide it's not worth it for you.
Hope that helps
Andy

maisie

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 20:47:27 PM »
Thanks Andy, that explains why I've not got the button.

I am not likely to subscribe at the moment.  Perhaps in the future when we see how the forum evolves.

I must say I don't think that chat is a good idea.  Under the circumstances it does run the risk I'd being divisive and could become very cliquey.  I think that everything should be upfront on the forum.  There is always private messaging.

Maisie

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »
I am not interested in 'chat' because I don't think it adds anything over and above private messaging.  I am not concerned about feelings of exclusion as I engage or not as the mood takes me.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »
Don't think I'll be using the chat either...

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »
It's an easy way to send a quick message when you know the recipient is online. I both like and use it  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 16:45:58 PM »
Chat isn't group chat so it's unlikely to create cliqueness, surely? It's just instant messaging between two people...

Must admit that I'm slightly concerned about the idea of chatting between two people being considered as not "upfront". What are your feelings on private messaging?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 18:52:23 PM »
I've always used private messaging.  Have no trouble with that.  Sometimes you just need to message something that isn't for everybody.
I'm unlikely to use chat.   I just can't type well enough or fast enough!   0_0

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »
You don't need any special skills to use Chat. I's virtually the same as a pm except the recipient answers you straight away. I think it's a really handy tool and use it a lot  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D