The Sewing Place

Is it true that some patterns are just cut better?

jen

Re: Is it true that some patterns are just cut better?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 11:07:08 AM »
There are some patterns offered for sale which don't seem to be drafted by someone who has learnt pattern drafting. Typically these are on sale in small independent outlets who rely on internet fan traffic to build up sales. Not every small company falls into this category though. Beginners are probably better off using one of the bigger company patterns, if only because they come with seam allowances and usually pretty good instructions. Whatever pattern you start with it's a good idea to measure the pieces and compare them with your own measurements to get an idea of their sizing and ease. Some of the guilty fan based companies win sales because they seem to offer a lot of hand holding and sew along camaraderie. A beginner is better off with a decent pattern, good sewing book and access to a site like this where friends will chip in to help.
Some pattern faults which come up are back and front patterns identical in woven, fitted designs, fitted sleeve patterns which have the same curve on the back and front in wovens, crotch curves flattened out (see Morgan's link), too much ease in a sleeve head.
The further you are from the standard measurements the more fitting you can expect to do.

DementedFairy

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 20:20:36 PM »
Beginners are probably better off using one of the bigger company patterns, if only because they come with seam allowances and usually pretty good instructions. ... Some of the guilty fan based companies win sales because they seem to offer a lot of hand holding and sew along camaraderie. A beginner is better off with a decent pattern, good sewing book and access to a site like this where friends will chip in to help.

Abso-flamin' lutely!  *waves*  Hi all!

I'm just prepping my annual blog analysis, and have made 52 things this yaer, of which 12 were Vogue, and 15 Style Arc.  As I gather patterns to organise myself for this year's SWAP challenge, I'm down to 9 in the pile.  5 Are Vogue, 2 StyleArc.  My preferences are clear!

Right, sewing to do!
C'est moi!

Sewingsue

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 22:32:19 PM »
Wave DF
52 things this year? Seriously?

Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

DementedFairy

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 04:00:00 AM »
Wave DF
52 things this year? Seriously?

Might not all be counted- this was stuff I blogged about, and now I come to think of it, there's another four vests I made for the missus, the raincoat on the table now, and a part-made corset which I MUST finish by Xmas so maybe 58.  And a parasol.  Ah, let's say 60.  Only about 5 or 6 duds, a few fails at toile stage [not counted] and 3 or 4 'meh' garments which I don't wear, so they will be passed on.  Not too shabby although I feel I spent a lot of time without mojo.
The star of the year is still Dawn's coat- she actually gets recognised a lot these days when we're out and about, but the coat has its own fanclub lol
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 07:51:25 AM »
Sixty odd items, no wonder you haven't logged in here recently.  ;)

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
60 items is amazing!  I know how difficult it is to fit the sewing around work and family commitments, so 60 is a real achievement.

If you're ever at a loose end you know, feel free to visit my house and help out with the UFO's!!  :D

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
I am watching that raincoat on your blog with interest, DF. I love the pattern.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Greybird

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
no wonder you haven't logged in here recently

Just what I was thinking. Are the days actually longer in Birmingham than they are here? Where do you fit in the rest of your life?

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 20:42:01 PM »
Just what I was thinking. Are the days actually longer in Birmingham than they are here? Where do you fit in the rest of your life?
I have no life

Lol I DO have a lovely missus who is more than happy for me to wander off to sew for hours, brings me tea and feeds me, and generally keeps things ticking.  I DON'T have an annoying husband or any sprogs to bother me.  I DO have the ability/curse to completely zone out and just plod on listening to my audiobook until the thing is finished.  This raincoat is slower work, but not a complex pattern...
she says, having not done the *gulp* welt pockets yet.  My nemesis :'( :'( :'(
C'est moi!

Vegegrow

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 21:44:32 PM »
But the linings looking good though.. and very jammy spotting that pleat in the quilting 2 lines in
 https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/12/12/return-of-the-return-of-the-mac/
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

warpbywarpweft

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 23:12:53 PM »
Wow, 60 items is a lot.  Keeping a count sounds like a good idea for 2018.

Thank you for all the posts and links (sorry for starting a thread and then vanishing,  RL got a little hectic).

The Kathleen Fasanella article was interesting,  funnily enough I did end up reading what she had to say about arm hole ease  when a top that I was making appeared to have so much ease in the sleeve cap that it was going to end up puffed if I wasn't careful. From what I could gather she can be a bit controversial with her opinions.

warpbywarpweft

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 23:15:41 PM »
...I Will have another read of the thread tomorrow as there are I think quite a few more places that I could be looking for patterns.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 16:18:26 PM »
I have had good results with New Look for tops and Burda for trousers. Seriously the Burda trouser block is completely different, it has an angled back seam which is much longer than the front and although I still scoop and sometimes make the back darts deeper I have MUCH better results. I have big thighs and derriere though so Burda may not be so great for someone with a straighter hip line.

Gemma

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 17:48:26 PM »
Definitely there are well cut and badly cut patterns! And I don't think it's just to do with whether a pattern line suits your body shape - the models wearing clothes on the pattern packets are theoretically the 'perfect' size for the garment, and some of them look awful! I won't buy a pattern unless there's a photo and it looks good, however cute the drawing is.