The Sewing Place

How should I line this tote bag?

Vezelay

How should I line this tote bag?
« on: December 13, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
I'm making this bag . The material is Kraft-tex - a sort of imitation leather made from tough paper. In the pattern there's no lining, but I think it would be much nicer with one. I don't think the usual method (constucting the lining then attaching it reverse side out on the exterior of the bag) will work because the Kraft-tex is quite stiff and I can't see how it would pull through a gap. The only alternative I can see is to make the lining, insert it, turn under a hem at the top and topstitch it. The pattern has two lines of topstitching at the top raw edge of the bag.

What would you do? Any ideas welcome please.

Acorn

Re: How should I line this tote bag?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
That is exactly what I would do!  Lovely bag.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:14:19 AM »
I would either do that, or use a binding.  Whichever you think best suits the style of the bag.  Lovely bag btw.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
It's lovely! I think I would do what you suggested and topstitch through both the bag and the lining - perhaps using Wondertape to hold it in place?

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 14:52:54 PM »
Great feedback, thank you all! I'm so glad I joined this forum :). I hadn't thought of a binding, Jessie, so I might just see how that could look before I go the other way.  And Wondertape, definitely Greybird, I'm a big fan, was using some just this morning to sew a zip on a pouch.

The bag is from this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krafttex-Style-Combines-Leather-Fabric/dp/160705910X. I'm using grey Kraft-tex rather than white on my tote - because that's what I have, and it's probably more practical anyway. And I haven't bought the lining fabric yet but that should be easy - any black/white/grey combination should work. Last Christmas I promised a friend I would make her a bag, so this is it. Only took 12 months to get round to it ><.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 14:58:03 PM »
Finished bag, duly presented to my friend yesterday. Only thing I regret is not adding an inside pocket (none in the pattern), but I'd run out of the lining fabric by then and needed to get on with other gifts. The handles should be an inch or two longer than in the pattern as well I think. But it's fine and she liked it. :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 14:59:34 PM by Vezelay »

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 15:56:28 PM »
Love how the handle lining acts as a binding and matches the lining.

fajita

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 20:24:02 PM »
It's a lovely bag. I'd be more than happy if one of my friends made one for me.