The Sewing Place

The Pink Atomic!

Iminei

Re: The Pink Atomic!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 08:20:55 AM »
What the **** !!??!!??!!

This is still a sewing forum isn't it ?????

What Fabulous Fings have you got there????

Not only the pink thingymijiggy (obviously chosen to go with your new 'do'!) but the sleek 'Thunderbirds are Go' styled pigjoggerry behind it !!!

When was this Friday afternoon in the spacetimecontinuum when a sewing machine draftsman went nuts and got his sons doodles through onto the production line???

Awesome!!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewbee

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 08:52:17 AM »
Oh my! What a fabulous looking machine!!

I read through all the posts and thought, heavens, this must be hair dye!!!!

Roger

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 11:15:54 AM »
Thank you Imi, that was brilliant!

The thingy is a sewing machine, it’s a 1960s USA Singer, called the 500a, it was part of Singers effort to get in on the space race/atomic styling. It’s actually a 401 in crazy styling.

I have no idea what it’s doing in the UK... I’ve never seen another here, it came in a cabinet, with all the accessories and manual and a giant current converter!

Arrow spotted it on Gumtree, and it made me love vintage machines.

Here’s another pic with its accessory case.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
Its really crazy, like a kid drew a rocket that got made into a sewing machine ... even the controls are shaped like rockets!
and the pink thing (Is it really called an Atomic) is a flying saucer!!!

Wild man, wild!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
That’s why it’s called the rocketeer, that and the button looks a lot like the hero’s helmet from the Rocketeer film.

The pink button holer is usually either called the Atomic or Jetsons buttonholer ( because it’s atomic styled, or looks like the saucer out of the Jetsons) and is available in either fuschia (slant shank) or evergreen (straight shank)

The whole style is just exuberant and has the same flair as the giant finned Cadillacs.

Also they’re the one of the last mostly metal machines that Singer made and have a great reputation as being a good/great machine, it’s my favourite and does most of my sewing and gets doted on!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

supergran

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 20:54:31 PM »
Before I enlarged the picture, I wondered why there was a pink toilet seat in front of a sewing machine. Sorry.  :|

Vegegrow

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 21:05:13 PM »
Its really rather lovely .. well deserving of a display space  :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Roger

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 22:49:36 PM »
Thanks Gran and Vege, it isn’t quite what you expect.

I’ve just given it a clean and an oil, and it’s smooth fluff free and the mechanism is turning over nicely! I haven’t made a button hole with it yet. But it should be smooth and painless :)

arrow

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
The plastic case goes very well withe 400series, and even more so the 500. I have the older version with the square (dark) green box, it was made from the late 40s and well into the 50s. It's all metal, black but the round turn button on top is white plastic. I'm not sure when the atomic jetson box arrived? I always thought these were nearly identical under the cover, mostly because they take the same cams and the same stitch length lever on the side.

If I have understood this correctly the UK Singer factory made the exact same buttonholer, but it came in a cardboard box. The plastic has helt up very well on these. I store mine on a bookshelf, I wonder if it should have it in a bag or cover or something?

I have only seen the eyelet cam in various greist buttonholers for other brands. I guess it was bought separately or with a type of cam set, or it was a way to make an exlusive out of some buttonholer sets?

Surest1tch

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 21:11:12 PM »
How fab, well done Roger

Roger

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 22:01:28 PM »
Thanks SureStitch!

Arrow: these ones are very plastic well the case is anyway-  the manual does mention a eyelet cam, but I dont see to have one with this device, but i definitely have plenty of others.

I think I might try to find a nice little box for this personally I dont want that outrageous fuschia fading or going brittle!

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 22:51:10 PM »
The pink case would look lovely on display in my new pink study (where's the jealous button?!)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.