The Sewing Place

Standfast & Barracks new classic lawn collection

Tamnymore

Standfast & Barracks new classic lawn collection
« on: December 16, 2017, 21:29:31 PM »
Standfast & Barracks in Lancaster used to print Liberty tana lawn and many of us drank from the font of fabulous fabric at their factory shop or katsfabrics on ebay.

We were inconsolable when they stopped printing Liberty (although luckily we had had the foresight to stock up on all the Liberty tana lawn we would ever need and then some).

I've just checked their facebook page and I see they are now stocking their own brand of Classic Lawn at £6.99. Some nice designs and looks comparable to Liberty. Goodie. An excuse to swerve off the M6 at J34 on next trip oop north. DH will be pleased!  :devil: :devil: :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

rowe1311

Re: Standfast & Barracks new classic lawn collection
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 19:42:03 PM »
What good news.  I am so pleased that they will make their own cotton lawn and hopefully make a success of it, and prove to Liberty that they shouldn't have relocated. 

I had a look at their facebook page but can't see any of their designs.  Will they only be selling in their shop or online too? 

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 19:51:16 PM »
If you scroll down their Facebook page a bit you'll see the new designs - and very tasty they are too. You should be able to order them via telesaes (though they are always very busy). I see that katsfabrics on ebay has some of the designs though at a higher price

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 21:19:58 PM »
I’ve looked on their FB page...there’s nothing there, last post 2 October...

Seems they have 2 FB pages.
https://www.facebook.com/clearancefabrics/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 21:21:53 PM by Efemera »

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 21:50:10 PM »
Am.having difficulty cutting and pasting links on my phone but if you google around you should find it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 21:54:54 PM by Tamnymore »

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »
See here.

Kad

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 15:01:43 PM »
I've just returned from a ' research' trip up the M6 to Lancaster  :ninja:
Standfast & Barracks to be precise; to check out their new range of Lawn, just to make sure that it compared favourably with the Liberty that they used to print .....
and I'm pleased to report that it is really nice stuff and the patterns and colourways, although limited at present,  are very good. The chap that I spoke to explained that these are sort of an experiment to see how sales go, so hopefully, if all goes well there may be an extended range in the future?
I was tempted :devil: with 2 lengths of the lawn and 1 of a lightweight/fine dressmaking velvet with a beautiful sheen to it and at only £6.99/m it could have been more  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 16:02:26 PM »
I`m seriously jealous of all of you who live "up North" - so much choice, so much temptation!

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 16:28:09 PM »
I`m seriously jealous of all of you who live "up North" - so much choice, so much temptation!

I'm sure my bank balance likes that I live in Suffolk  ... its a long way to Lancaster  :(
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 17:11:42 PM »
... The chap that I spoke to explained that these are sort of an experiment to see how sales go, so hopefully, if all goes well there may be an extended range in the future?

So if we don't buy it, it will be our fault when it isn't there for us in future.

We have a responsibility to support them...  :angel:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 17:46:00 PM »
Kad, good of you to go on a dangerous reconaissance mission up the M6 on our behalf!  :devil:

Vegegow, you don't have to live up north, you just have to have a phone, a credit card and a fabric habit. I phoned this morning (01524 598222 option 3) and ordered up some lawn and Christmas fabric. A nice lady rang back a minute later to ask if it was blue polar bears or red polar bears I wanted. She rang back later when she had put it through the till and I paid by cc. All very easy and no problem getting through by phone. She says it should arrive tomorrow so let's see. The standard postage cost is £7 so it will be cheaper to order by phone rather than katsfabrics on ebay if you are ordering more than 3m, which I was (ahem).

What's that you say? It was only yesterday I said I had all the Liberty lawn I would ever need. Ah yes but that was Liberty and this is Standfast and Barracks and, as Acorn points out it is our duty to support them!  :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 14:30:31 PM »
Well the fabrics have arrived (very efficient - thank you S&B) and very tasty they are too - easily as nice as Liberty lawn but with some new designs. They have a really nice smooth finish ('double calendered' is the term I believe). I also ordered some polar bear fabrics in the vain hope that I could do something with them before Christmas ... err no! The photo of them has put lines on them - that's a trick of the light.

Definitely worth ordering some of these while they last. Glad to support Lancashire industries!

See the lawn fabrics here: https://www.facebook.com/clearancefabrics/photos/pcb.2216191471740491/2216163401743298/?type=3&theater

And here's my haul

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 16:39:59 PM »
I like the ones in the second photo.

rowe1311

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 18:47:24 PM »
I am pleased they are good quality and I do hope they will succeed and I am totally with you for supporting British made.  I am not allowing myself to buy anymore fabric just yet though, but will keep my eye out in the future. 

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 22:28:14 PM »
I agree with UR - the ones in the second photo are lovely - especially the multi-coloured one - I'm envious.  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath