The Sewing Place

Standfast & Barracks new classic lawn collection

Sewbee

Re: Standfast & Barracks new classic lawn collection
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 17:32:40 PM »
I've just returned from a ' research' trip up the M6 to Lancaster  :ninja:
Standfast & Barracks to be precise; to check out their new range of Lawn, just to make sure that it compared favourably with the Liberty that they used to print .....
and I'm pleased to report that it is really nice stuff and the patterns and colourways, although limited at present,  are very good. The chap that I spoke to explained that these are sort of an experiment to see how sales go, so hopefully, if all goes well there may be an extended range in the future?
I was tempted :devil: with 2 lengths of the lawn and 1 of a lightweight/fine dressmaking velvet with a beautiful sheen to it and at only £6.99/m it could have been more  :D

Just thinking of a day trip there myself. :) I love lawn fabric.

I looked at some Liberty lawn this morning but of all the designs they have they are nowhere near as nice as they were years ago. I found maybe 4 that appealed. And they are expensive, too.

Sewbee

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 17:42:56 PM »
I like the ones in the second photo.

Me, too - and the one with rabbits!

Tamnymore

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2017, 17:45:53 PM »
If you check through this thread you'll see what I've said about their telesales service and costs - I found them to be excellent.

Also just to note they don't open again until the new year. They are a bit out of the centre of Lancaster and I've not been able to find a bus from the centre so the options are probably a walk on a very busy road or a taxi. But if you drive it's J34 on the M6.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 17:51:23 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 18:07:00 PM »
If you check through this thread you'll see what I've said about their telesales service and costs - I found them to be excellent.

Also just to note they don't open again until the new year. They are a bit out of the centre of Lancaster and I've not been able to find a bus from the centre so the options are probably a walk on a very busy road or a taxi. But if you drive it's J34 on the M6.

Thanks, Tamnymore. I've got the week between Christmas and New Year to plan what patterns to make and to look at the fabric so I can order in the New Year. My cutting out table (trestle table with leg risers) should arrive next week so the timing is perfect. I really do want to plan a trip there, though.

When I was looking at Liberty cottons this morning, I was considering making Liesl's cinema dress for summer but it takes quite a bit of fabric and at Liberty's prices it was about £100. I'm still trying to get my sewing skills back up to snuff so that was too much for one garment. S&B will get lots of my business, though!

https://oliverands.com/shop/cinema-dress-sewing-pattern.html

Tamnymore

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 18:30:02 PM »
Yes the cinema dress is nice but it is surprisingly fabric hungry. Have you been to Mandors yet? I'm sure they will have a sale after Christmas.

Kad

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 18:43:35 PM »
I made the 'cinema dress' earlier this year and purchased the stated amount of fabric. Surprisingly I didn't have to add anything to the length of the pattern, I'm about 6'tall, and still had sufficient fabric remaining to sew a short straight skirt for DD.
If you're shorter than me I'd suggest that you check the measurements of the pattern pieces and try a layout of your own as you'll probably get away with using rather less fabric (and save £ too)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Sewbee

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 18:57:20 PM »
Yes the cinema dress is nice but it is surprisingly fabric hungry. Have you been to Mandors yet? I'm sure they will have a sale after Christmas.

I thought I'd wait until after Christmas in the hopes there will be sales. :)

Sewbee

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 19:06:33 PM »
I made the 'cinema dress' earlier this year and purchased the stated amount of fabric. Surprisingly I didn't have to add anything to the length of the pattern, I'm about 6'tall, and still had sufficient fabric remaining to sew a short straight skirt for DD.
If you're shorter than me I'd suggest that you check the measurements of the pattern pieces and try a layout of your own as you'll probably get away with using rather less fabric (and save £ too)

That's interesting, Kad. I am 5 ft 8 in so I might indeed look at the layout and measurements. I was stunned when I read how much fabric it takes!

Tamnymore

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 19:20:55 PM »
Although if you make the shorter length dress and use 150 mm wide fabric it takes 4y which is 3.6m (and that's for the largest size which equates to a UK 22) so that doesn't sound so bad. I'm shorter than both of you so the longer one would probably be a maxi on me.  :D

Sewbee

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2017, 19:58:14 PM »
Although if you make the shorter length dress and use 150 mm wide fabric it takes 4y which is 3.6m (and that's for the largest size which equates to a UK 22) so that doesn't sound so bad. I'm shorter than both of you so the longer one would probably be a maxi on me.  :D

I think it came to something like 5 metres when I looked but I was pairing it up with Liberty fabric which I think is 1.3 metres wide (42 inches?)  I will have to have another look at the pattern and also see what the width of the S&B fabric is. actually if I use their fabric it helps a lot with the price compared to Liberty so the quantity matters a but less.

I like the longer length because it covers a varicose vein in the back of one of my legs - and also makes you look slimmer. ;)

Tamnymore

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2018, 22:59:30 PM »
Just noticed on facebook that S&B have launched another range of lawns called Creative Creatures. More temptation!

BrendaP

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2018, 23:09:57 PM »
See here.

£10.99 per metre as compared to the factory shop's £6.99 per metre.
 :'(
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:08 AM »
@BrendaP  you need to phone with your order to get the £6.99 pm offer  but they are efficient. P&p is a flat rate of £7 with next day delivery so you  will save over the katsfabrics on ebay rate if you buy 2m or more.