The Sewing Place

How small is too small? the purpose of patchwork...a question?

Vegegrow

Re: How small is too small? the purpose of patchwork...a question?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 20:39:16 PM »
How lovely .....So how big is each hexi Lantana ... although I should probably know this as my  Mama used to run Dolls house and miniature fairs
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lantana

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 20:53:41 PM »
Thankyou Vegegrow,
From what I can remember the actual metal template was 1/4 inch but by the time I'd draw round it to make the paper shape and then wrapped the fabric round it obviously came out bigger. I'm guessing it's about 5/8 inch. The fabric was mainly Liberty lawn and I sewed it with silk thread.

Did you have a dolls house or did you not catch the bug? It's a hobby I've neglected for many years ... not entirely given up on mind. I was going to make one of the room boxes into a quilt exhibition!

:vintage:

Vegegrow

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 21:15:57 PM »
No I didn't catch the dolls house bug but my Mum has the most amazing custom made dolls house... its an old record cabinet from the 1930's the top lifts ( where the record player was )and is the attic nursery and the maids room
the lower doors open into a hall and drawing room on one floor and a dining room and bedroom on the next... DD was brought up with it and used to decorate it for Christmas ...she was so careful with it ... 
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lantana

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 22:16:28 PM »
Oh wow that sounds really special! What a treasure to have! Did your Mum  commission it?

L :vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2017, 01:49:13 AM »
R.E.S.P.EC.T  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »
I am seriously impressed by anyone who can deal with ¼" templates!  Amazing.
Definitely not my thing - I don't really get mini anything (what is the point of mini cakes?)
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
Blimey!!!! Too Teensy for me.

My mum made me a dolls house out of an old trunk (stood on its end) for my fifth birthday in the mid '60's.
She was a seriously artistic and unusual (at the time) mum.
She even electrified it !! Don't ask me how...this was predollshouse enthusiasts days where you can get everything and anything for your hobby.I adored it and filled it up with clunky 60's Dolls House furniture.

I received it in the mid 80's from my dad and started filling it with beautiful (and seriously expensive when you add it all up) dolls house furniture and knick-knacks, including a reclining nude lady (whom I fancied was me) usually to be found in the bath.

Sadly when we moved to our present house there was no room to display it so it rests unloved in the attic  :'(

I now fantasize about moving to a bigger house and having a dedicated sewing room and a space to display my dollshouse, but that's not going to happen in this lifetime...unless we win the lottery and the chances of that are like snow in the desert in August
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lantana

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2017, 13:40:09 PM »
The dolls house I played with and made furniture out of match boxes for was on loan from my mums cousin. I also bought a few pieces for it out of my pocket money so you can imagine how upset I was when I came home from school one day to find mum had returned it to her cousin who had just had a baby girl!

I bought a second hand one many years later but had to leave it behind when I moved house. Yes I have the  fantasy of a dedicated DH room as over the years I've made and bought several good pieces incuding a vintage sewing machine with a handle that turns and the needle that goes up and down. Sadly it doesn't actually work LOL! 

The one your Mum made Iminei sounds gorgeous!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 13:43:46 PM by Lantana »

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2017, 19:38:34 PM »
It is...Like a townhouse. She painted the outside of the trunk white and drew the house on in black marker pen. One day (don't hold your breath) I may post a pic of it!

Lowena

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2017, 19:50:32 PM »
I love dolls houses and would love to have one  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2017, 21:20:31 PM »
Oh wow that sounds really special! What a treasure to have! Did your Mum  commission it?

Well as she ran Dolls house and Miniature Fairs ..she found the cabinet a bit like this Pic and got one of the Dolls house makers to make it into a home ... and a lot of stallholders paid for their stalls with the most amazing furniture and well everything from tiny reading glasses and a newspaper which live in the draw of a desk in the hall to a wardrobe full of clothes... yes I will get pics but you'll have to wait.. don't have any plans to go over there at the moment

Lantana

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2017, 22:36:09 PM »
@ Vegegrow and Iminei

<Green face>

L :sew:

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 07:26:35 AM »
To the Girls waiting for scraps.....

Thy time draws nigh!

I am at present organising and cutting for a Jan Hassard workshop this Saturday and am about to move the Triffid
from its overwintering place (ie the spare room/my wardrobe room/my art room/my stash store room)
so will be having a monster tidy up...

The bags are big girls, (over) filling rapidly........I think we may need a box.

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 16:58:58 PM »
Are you two girls still up for my scraps ????

shadykittykat

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 18:18:42 PM »
Are you two girls still up for my scraps ????

Yes please!  :)
Kate
Running, sewing, eating