The Sewing Place

How small is too small? the purpose of patchwork...a question?

Iminei

Re: How small is too small? the purpose of patchwork...a question?
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
How small is too small.....

Well not too small to (speedily) fashion The Sewing Places very own Bear from scraps that were Bearly there!!!

Many. many, many thanks to Vege for my Surprise Bear,
with the founding date of our lovely forum embroidered on his paw!!

Too generous Vege, they were only scraps destined for the bin and look what a beautiful thing you made from them!

He is, and will be loved (and I'm not a soft toy person, believe you me!)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 14:10:23 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »
Vege, he is gorgeous (and I'm not a soft toy lover either).  It makes me a bit guilty thinking of some of the scraps I throw away.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
No photo showing again Imi
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2017, 20:36:20 PM »
Glad you like him Imi...  I had good fun looking through the scraps and had a little time between work projects  so I made him then someone was going to the post office  so he was packed up quickly and sent on his way to Dorset.. I have just made a yellow orange  version he needs some features and I'll post a pic
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Vegegrow

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2017, 20:38:49 PM »
Imi's Scrappy Bear..... I copied Imi's picture as I didn't have time to Photo him
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

rubywishes

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2017, 10:44:20 AM »
Oh he is so sweet...his photo should feature somewhere on the Home Page. :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Vegegrow

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »
Glad you like him Imi...  I had good fun looking through the scraps and had a little time between work projects  so I made him then someone was going to the post office  so he was packed up quickly and sent on his way to Dorset.. I have just made a yellow orange  version he needs some features and I'll post a pic

Here he is and this is the link .. pdf just above measurements
https://www.sewingquarter.com/h/58775bcc0a8e111270e056f5/Bear%20in%20a%20Bag/

shadykittykat

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2017, 12:53:02 PM »
That bear is gorgeous  :loveit: I finally was able to rescue my parcel this afternoon  :ninja: So will have fun sorting through them, thank you Imi  :)
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Iminei

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2017, 19:41:39 PM »
You are very talented Vege and patient!

I have indeed made a couple of bears (one was for my darling dad in the 90's...probably in the bin now he has died  :'( )
and a pusscat for the two lil neighbours when they were born and the obligatory dachshund but I found them  fiddly, tedious and a bit nyeh!

Isn't it strange how we all have our comfort zones and niches ??/
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2017, 20:10:38 PM »
I just like trying different stuff... I make allsorts ,,,curtains, blinds, dresses, alterations if I have to, I do crafty stuff for my stall and the dolls for my great niece and DD best friends little girl and I'm venturing into the darkside with your BOM's and my first few quilts.. I'm thinking the bears would be good C*******s presents for my nieces with a little envelope with money in it

Lilian

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2017, 19:44:59 PM »

Is this bear very intricate to make?  I have some fabric left from the baby quilt I made and was thinking about having a go at a bear.  I did see this being made on the Sewing Quarter.  My hands are not good and I am losing my dexterity due to injury and multiple ops to sort it.  I wonder if I could make one.  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2017, 21:14:45 PM »
Is this bear very intricate to make?  I have some fabric left from the baby quilt I made and was thinking about having a go at a bear.  I did see this being made on the Sewing Quarter.  My hands are not good and I am losing my dexterity due to injury and multiple ops to sort it.  I wonder if I could make one.  :)
He's about 15cm tall I found the most fiddly bit was connecting the head to the body... I did consider doing it by hand as the seam is only about 3" long.... but on the whole making the bear is all pretty logical and I'm getting faster at them I've made 4 now
if your concerned you could print out the pattern a bit bigger

Lilian

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2017, 23:24:13 PM »
He's about 15cm tall I found the most fiddly bit was connecting the head to the body... I did consider doing it by hand as the seam is only about 3" long.... but on the whole making the bear is all pretty logical and I'm getting faster at them I've made 4 now
if your concerned you could print out the pattern a bit bigger

Thanks Vege, I never thought to make it bigger, I might give it a go  :)  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2017, 09:06:38 AM »

Thank you so much for posting that link - and the info as to where to find the pdf, I might not have found it otherwise!

It's my girls' big birthdays tomorrow and neither of them know what they want as pressies - other than glamping with their girl friends this weekend past and the party on Saturday.    So, they are getting money but wrapped up with a teddy bear.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
Brenda, what a lovely idea (lovely teds too btw)!  They will be delighted!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.