The Sewing Place

How small is too small? the purpose of patchwork...a question?

Vegegrow

I have really enjoyed Imi's BOM's I'm a beginner at patchwork and have never really planned and finished a designed quilt. this months BOM made me cut fabric into what I thought were  small pieces to sew them back together again... with a lovely result but something I found quite difficult.. not pattern wise but the whole premise of patchwork being the way to use up scraps .....I have made cushions with scraps of upholstery fabric and and cards with tiny bits of cotton but I never had to cut into a large piece of fabric  Am I alone in feeling this?... do I need patchwork and quilting therapy? :D
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

maisie

Re: How small is too small? the purpose of patchwork...a question?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 21:17:43 PM »
You're not alone Vegegrow.  I work as a craft tutor and teach English paper piecing.  I cringe every time I cut into a lovely fat quarter, just so I can sew it all together again.

But, it is an incredible relaxing craft and if you add a bit of gossiping and putting the world to rights in a group, my 3.5 hour class wizzes by.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 22:15:33 PM »
I actually enjoy the precision of the cutting and piecing.  It hasn't ever occurred to me that I am cutting it up just to put it together again.  But now you come to mention it ........
Life's too short for ironing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 22:23:46 PM »
I'm the same, too.  I have some lovely Textile Centre cotton for patchwork but can't bring myself to 'ruin' it by cutting it up. 

I think it would be nice if we could please have a 'repurposed' section of the forum  8) I have some old clothes and the fabric from some old chair seat pads to make into something and it would be lovely to see what others make with salvaged fabric and scraps  :).

PollyWally

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 22:32:11 PM »
I found it difficult to watch a roll of Liberty fabric being cut in to small squares in a fabric shop even though the resulting bundles of fat quarters were very pretty.

fajita

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 22:35:23 PM »
Well, you know when you make clothes, all you're doing is cutting up fabric and sewing it back together again. And it's not as if you don't get something useful and beautiful and individual at the end.

Keep on keeping on!

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 22:38:28 PM »
I love scrappy quilts especially scrappy quilts for children as there's so much in them to look at, so you don't have to use big new pieces of fabric all the time.  I often use contrasting light and dark fabrics and like to have many different light fabrics too for the background.
Ive made a few memory quilts from old clothes and they have been really interesting challenges!

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:59:54 AM »
Hmmmmmmm, an interesting thought to ruminate on!  I find that I am usually so excited about how my quilt is going to come together I love to start cutting the fabric up!  :devil:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 20:44:58 PM »
You're not alone Vegegrow.  I work as a craft tutor and teach English paper piecing.  I cringe every time I cut into a lovely fat quarter, just so I can sew it all together again.

But, it is an incredible relaxing craft and if you add a bit of gossiping and putting the world to rights in a group, my 3.5 hour class wizzes by.
English Paper Piecing is on the list .. one day some day when I have time...never been to a sewing class ,, except school
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Vegegrow

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 20:47:40 PM »
I actually enjoy the precision of the cutting and piecing.  It hasn't ever occurred to me that I am cutting it up just to put it together again.  But now you come to mention it ........
When I worked in a fabric shop I asked my colleague if she had ever done patchwork she said 'Why would I cut something up to sew it back together again'

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 20:55:50 PM »
I found it difficult to watch a roll of Liberty fabric being cut in to small squares in a fabric shop even though the resulting bundles of fat quarters were very pretty.
Agghh so would I :'(
[
Well, you know when you make clothes, all you're doing is cutting up fabric and sewing it back together again. And it's not as if you don't get something useful and beautiful and individual at the end.
Yes but you usually don't cut several  1 1/2" squares... that's sooooo small :'(

I discovered I could reply to everyone in one post ... cool

I love scrappy quilts especially scrappy quilts for children as there's so much in them to look at, so you don't have to use big new pieces of fabric all the time.  I often use contrasting light and dark fabrics and like to have many different light fabrics too for the background.
Ive made a few memory quilts from old clothes and they have been really interesting challenges!
That's what I save the scraps for... Mind you... I do have a virtual Lowena looking over my shoulder saying ...'What do you need that for... it has decreased the stash.... :D

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »
That's what I save the scraps for..

If anybody wants a large bag of beautiful colours and fabric scraps that I have been working with over the last year...
I sorted one out when I tidied the sewing stash last year.... just give me a pm and I'll whizz it into the post for you!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
That's what I save the scraps for..

If anybody wants a large bag of beautiful colours and fabric scraps that I have been working with over the last year...
I sorted one out when I tidied the sewing stash last year.... just give me a pm and I'll whizz it into the post for you!
Ohhhh me please Miss  :* If its still avaliable

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
Agghh so would I :'(
[Yes but you usually don't cut several  1 1/2" squares... that's sooooo small :'(That's what I save the scraps for... Mind you... I do have a virtual Lowena looking over my shoulder saying ...'What do you need that for... it has decreased the stash.... :D
I'm glad my time on here is well spent and appreciated Vegegrow  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
I keep my scraps as I can't bear to throw anything away that 'might come in useful'. I started a scrappy quilt using the bits but that has been sidelined for other projects at the moment. I don't mind cutting into fabric if I feel that it's the right one for what I want to make. As for paper piecing - that's something I've thought of to take away with me if I go on holiday, I did some hexagons many many years ago  and found it a bit boring but I didn't do P&Q then and my patience wasn't as great then either.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula