The Sewing Place

Coat sewing

Tamnymore

Re: Coat sewing
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 13:47:46 PM »
Ah yes, Sew Today. I was once a subscriber but cancelled my sub a few years back when what they offered got poorer and the mag got poorer. And they put up my DD without telling me  Although there are some sewing articles in it, most of it is taken up by photos of the outfits in the patterns. Some of the articles were good, others less so. I even saw the exact same article in 2 different editions. I suspect it is redited on a shoestring for the UK market. Athough you get 40% off their patterns you pay postage unless the order is over £20. I prefer to wait for half price pattern sales or I buy 3 Vogues at a time in sales in the US site and that works out at about £7.50 per pattern all in and doesn't incur customs charges.
Of course, others may love Sew Today and maybe it has massively improved!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 16:40:49 PM »
Whilst looking for something else I found a coat pattern from Prima 2015.

and wonder if this might be a better one to try as the seams and belt allow for a bit more shaping.
I like this one way better- but then I'm cylindrical!  Tie belts always end up irking me thoug as you're constantly re-tying the bloody things [glares at wrap coat hanging in hall]  I would add fastenings lol
C'est moi!

Sewbee

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2017, 16:57:45 PM »
Ah yes, Sew Today. I was once a subscriber but cancelled my sub a few years back when what they offered got poorer and the mag got poorer. And they put up my DD without telling me  Although there are some sewing articles in it, most of it is taken up by photos of the outfits in the patterns. Some of the articles were good, others less so. I even saw the exact same article in 2 different editions. I suspect it is redited on a shoestring for the UK market. Athough you get 40% off their patterns you pay postage unless the order is over £20. I prefer to wait for half price pattern sales or I buy 3 Vogues at a time in sales in the US site and that works out at about £7.50 per pattern all in and doesn't incur customs charges.
Of course, others may love Sew Today and maybe it has massively improved!

Thanks for that feedback, Tamnymore. I don't think I will subscribe, in that case. Like you, I'd rather wait for half price sales or pick up the odd sewing magazine when it has a good pattern. I don't want direct debit problems. I don't like them at the best of times.

Tamnymore

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 17:30:52 PM »
You might see a copy of the Sew Today mag in one of the bigger fabric shops (Mandors?) or a big WH Smith then you can see whether I've been too harsh!

The only sewing magazine where I've had a sub lately was 3 months of Knipmode which has patterns to trace like Burda. On the plus side it waa a cheap subscription, free postage, nice styles and ALL the patterns go right through the size range (unlike Burda). On the negative side I don't speak Dutch so understanding it all is a bit of hard work!

Boppingbeth

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2017, 14:03:50 PM »
I like them both but I think the second coat is more your style Ruthie. It reminds me of your favourite sweater pattern.   I would like to make the second one for me, too. 

jen

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
There's an online crib for Dutch sewing terms translation Tamnymore. I found it on PR aeons ago, let's see if the link is still good
https://www.sewingpatterns.shop/glossary

Tamnymore

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2017, 18:47:18 PM »
Thanks, Jen!