The Sewing Place

Multi-needle embroidery machines

Jo

Multi-needle embroidery machines
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
After playing for a few months with my S9 and embroiderying everything in sight, I discovered I LOVE embroidery. Husband has been encouraging me to get a multi-needle and go into business embroiderying clothing and toys. Yes, it's tempting, but to tell you the truth I'm so scred I'm having anxiety bouts about it. Well, too late now since we've already ordered the machine and he's been very encouraging and keeps telling me not to worry, worst case scenario I'll just have an awesome multi needle to enjoy.
Does anyone own a multi-needle? Morgan maybe?
Do you have any tips and tricks?
I've been thinking of buying some extra hoops, as mine just has two - a 12x12" and a 5.5x5.5" (it's a 7 needle Happy). Was looking at the Durkee EZ frames and the Mighty hoops magnetic hoops, but I'm not sure yet which sizes to get.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Multi-needle embroidery machines
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »
We have them at work.  If you're buying extra hoops make sure they are compatible with your machine.  I would also check the guarantee of your machine as using other makes' accessories may affect it.
If you're using it for a business then you need to source stabiliser, thread etc at sensible prices.  So you would be looking at wholesale rather than retail.  When doing it for a business you can't really be as fussy with things like stabiliser etc as you would if doing it for yourself.  I have loads of different ones for personal use but that makes it pretty expensive for a business. 
What type of service are you going to offer?   If you are doing children's clothes etc you might need to look at rules and regulations regarding said items.  Will you be digitising designs yourself? That takes time and needs to be paid for separately.  As you have a seven needle machine, then logos etc need to be basic and try and stick to no more than 7 colours or it defeats the object of the multi needle machine and you will be wasting time changing threads.   How are you going to structure your costs?   Generally embroiderey is costed per stitch.  But things like difficulty of getting items in the hoop need to be taken into consideration too. People often have unrealistic expectations about what can be embroidered.  Things like Xmas stockings are often not possible and customers often ask for them to be undone and then sewn up again.  Personally I wouldn't go down that route as customers don't really want to pay for that.
If you're lucky you may get a regular customer base.  Firms that have tee shirts etc as uniform with their logos etc can be a good source of income when they wear out.  I would always insist on payment on collection.  No money, no goods.  I have known at least two people lose out this way.  One a company where one of the owners went to prison and the other disappeared leaving my colleague out of pocket by £200. 
Word of mouth is the best advertising but you will need to advertise to begin with.  Good luck! :)

Jo

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 13:14:26 PM »
I don't want to personalize items or sell embroidery services, as there are enough companies that do that and I can't really compete with their pricing. What I would like to sell is mini series, as in x number of t-shirts with a certain design. This would allow me to chose the design, stabiliser and thread and price the item as a whole, not necessarily by embroidery. I'd also like to avoid giving the customer too many options, as this frequently leads to switching options back and forth.
I currently have a business selling cosmetics and am very familiar with the "no money, no product". Payment up front for personalised items, as I know too many cases of customers dropping the order.
I do need blanks tho and will have to try different sources until I find something to my liking.

Mamashep

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 17:12:52 PM »
I have just found this topic, so a bit late to reply. I have a Brother 10 needle machine. It was bought a year ago as ex-display - too good a bargain to miss, although I had not intended buying one at that time. I had inherited some money, and the opportunity came up, and even Dh said it was a steal at the price I paid.   I have not really used it much yet, as I have not had much time to get to grips with it, but I do find hooping much easier on it. I managed to pick up quite a few  extra hoops on Ebay, and also got a cap frame and cylinder frame quite cheaply.  Have you managed to find suppliers for blanks yet?