The Sewing Place

Butterick 5985

Ravingdoll

Butterick 5985
« on: December 23, 2017, 21:09:13 PM »
Not that I am putting myself under any pressure, but I am making this for New Year’s Eve.  Toby the Thug has given it his seal of approval.  I am going to make the short version.  Given that the fabric/notions came in at £56 I think a toile is in order.  Which I am about to cut out.  I see no reason to add the flounce to the toile unless anyone thinks it would be a good idea?  The fabric is a silk slub one and I don’t think it will alter how it hangs.  I am more interested in the bodice really, this is one of those that has separate cup sizes, and generally I find that they come out much larger than those without, plus the reviews suggest that there is a lot of ease.  Now, although I am a girl whose cup usually floweth over, I am actually going to make the C rather than the D as the last couple of D cups I have made have been larger than I was expecting.  I am going to cut out the D as well so if that doesn’t work I can swap them around.  So old sheet at the ready, I’m going in!   

Ellabella

Re: Butterick 5985
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 21:17:11 PM »
That fabric is lush RD, it should look stunning!

Wise to do a toile I think, it would be a pity to make a wadder. out of that

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 21:18:49 PM »
Lovely bit of Silk Dupion RD ..Gorgeous red ..yum  silk dupion has a bit of body so the flounce should hold its shape. is it lined ? .. the flounce I mean
Ps So glad Toby approves :)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 21:43:10 PM »
Ooh - that is going to be gorgeous!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 22:06:48 PM »
Love that fabric  :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 22:16:25 PM »
Lovely pattern and super fabric. It will be lovely, RD.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 22:24:27 PM »
It should look great - I don't think I would worry about putting a flounce on the toile as it wouldn't behave the same as your fabric anyway.  By the time you get to the flounce stage you will have handled the fabric enough to have a fair idea of how it will behave.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »
Well the toile is done on this one.  Not too many fitting issues, the usual ratio of bust to waist and taking out some excess around the back neck area, but I am used to doing those.  I’ve just got up (last night of the year last night) so got the rest of today and tomorrow and some of Sunday to do the real one.  We’ll see!! 

Ravingdoll

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 20:33:31 PM »
Fabric and lining are cut out and transfer of markings done.  Facing will need some adjustment but can be done when bodice assembled.  Having already put a toile together nothing complicated in the sewing of it, just seams together and a zip (although of course I’ve not done the flounce yet but what could *possibly* go wrong).  As I’ve not drunk that much this Christmas due to boring work shifts just poured myself a very nice cocktail of vodka, cherry brandy and cacao brun (ok a double) which is supposed to resemble something about the Black Forest according to Nigella and I may even sew together the lining for the bodice this evening too.  It’s kind of looking good for New Year’s  Eve (and I’ve ignored my brother’s comment of which New Year I’m talking about and if it all goes horribly wrong I shall say that I didn’t commit myself). 

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 20:59:17 PM »
That's really lovely, RavingDoll!!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 00:21:02 AM »
So here it is!  I am very pleased with this, much more Jessica Rabbit than Mr Spock this time!  I didn’t, it’s true, have it ready on time for NYE.  Firstly because when I put the flounce on it was more straight skirt with a ruffle at the end of it which wasn’t the look I was going for.  Also, truth be told, I was going to stay in and finish it but my naughty friends at the wine bar kept sending me photos of cocktails, mostly Violet Ecstacy which was ‘named’ for me by the owner, so it seemed churlish not to go (I never pretended to be the kind of girl who can resist temptation!).  What I did with the dress in the end was to take out some of the flounce at the top and put in an ease stitch at the hem which has given it more of a fishtail, and me much happier with it. And I don’t intend waiting until next NYE to wear it either.   

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:25 AM »
Wow, fabulous dress RD. :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »
Very smart  0_0

Vegegrow

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
That's gorgeous RD  <3 the colour ..
(Toby is usually pretty determined to get into your pictures but you must have sneaked off to take these  :ninja:  although if you have a scrap left he would look magnificent with a matching bow)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
Great dress, ideal for cocktail sipping. Or slurping.

I'm also very impressed with your pattern storage, so neat and tidy!