The Sewing Place

Selvedge holes - right and wrong sides

Bodgeitandscarper

Selvedge holes - right and wrong sides
« on: December 24, 2017, 14:01:17 PM »
Following a recent thread about right sides of fabrics, and having discovered through the wonders of google that there's two schools of thought about the smooth or bumpy selvedge holes, let do our own research!  Off to check my stash now  0_0

toileandtrouble

Re: Selvedge holes - right and wrong sides
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 14:25:13 PM »
I have a nasty feeling I once read that some machines work one way and some the other...It would depend on the relationship of the 'gripper strip' to the roll.  Having said that, I can't imagine the gripper underneath the printed/good woven side very easily, so it would be holes going down, into the cloth.
Someone who has been in mills/factories please come along and help!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 16:36:54 PM »
In my mind I felt certain that the smooth holes would be the right side of the fabric, but I've checked the fabrics I can reach easily, and mostly... but not on all of them.... it's the opposite way around.

I'm a bit bored today. Thanks for finding me something to do.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

jen

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
Without dragging out my stash I seem to remember going round a textile factory once and the cloth was right side up on the pins so that (in theory) it could be checked for errors and snags. Now, grey cells have been clogged up with years of useless c**p, and murdered by  :toast: so I'm ready to be corrected. It could all be a dream.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
A quick rifle through my stash shows that the majority has no holes at all  :o but where there are holes they are equally spread between sticking out on the right side and the wrong side.

I'm wondering whether there used to be a correct, logical way of doing it, but it has been lost in the mists of time, and manufacturers do their own thing these days.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Hummingbird

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 17:18:47 PM »
In case anyone doesn't know the origins of the holes.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenterhook

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 18:17:05 PM »
In case anyone doesn't know the origins of the holes.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenterhook

That link didn't work for me but this one did:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenterhook

Very interesting - and now I know where the word, tenterhooks, meaning "on edge" came from. :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 18:18:51 PM by Sewbee »

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 16:52:51 PM »
Just a guess - I've gone for smooth holes right side. Can't be bothered to go upstairs - not a well bunny.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 21:21:12 PM »
Well, 50% chance of being right!  If you want to be definitely sure, give it to me to cut out.  I will plump for the side I think looks best and after I have cut it out, you will find the absolutely only single isolated slub/fault in it, right in the middle of a piece. Guaranteed never to turn up until the cutting out is done.  :(
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 21:26:47 PM »
That sounds like my cutting out luck, toileandtrouble!

Missie

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »
As far as I recall, the right side is with the bumps up as the fabric was stretched onto upward-facing hooks (where to be on tenterhooks comes from).  However, I'm guessing that as with many things, processess and machinery have changed and it may well be different these days.