The Sewing Place

Knitted blanket finally done

LeilaMay

Knitted blanket finally done
« on: December 25, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »
Probably 2 years in the doing - because I never wanted it on my lap in the summers - here at last a autumnal coloured blanket for the rocking chair in my workroom  :)

Going to do some lace overr the holidays, and then there'll be lots of stripey socks to use up all these left-over yarns!

Sewingsue

Re: Knitted blanket finally done
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »
Well done, you must have had a lovely feeling when you completed it.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 22:02:37 PM »
It's beautiful, LeilaMay - the closest thing to patchwork I've ever seen in knitting. You certainly have a lot of patience, even if it's taken you two years to finish. Well done - it's lovely.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 14:15:25 PM »
that's gorgeous LeilaMay
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 14:45:38 PM »
That`s beautiful LeilaMay.
 I`m virtually a non-knitter- can you explain how you did it?  If it is basically a lot of squares sewn together I might be able to manage something similar (eventually)
I`d love to have something that I can do in the winter evenings whilst I watch the tele

Pearl

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 16:50:03 PM »
I made one of these, Sewingj.  If you google "mitred square blanket", there are several blogs which you can follow.  You pick up stitches to knit the next square so luckily, no sewing squares together.

LeilaMay

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:28:53 AM »
Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. Thank you for the nice comments :)

Pearl is correct, no sewing together for this, or I'd not have started it! You start the first square with a line of cast on, and then decrease in the centre as you knit the shape, and it becomes diamond shaped by the time you cast off the last stitch.Most of the diamonds are made by 'pick up and knit' along existing edges, and you weave in all you yarn ends as you go.

Not technically difficult, just took me ages, and I didn't knit it the summer much as you get too hot with all blanket in your lap!

:)

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 19:34:42 PM »
Thanks I`ll do a bit of research and hopefully have a bash.  I can`t sew in the evenings as our dining/sewing room is too cold.  I need a project to help banish the post-Christmas blues!

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 20:08:48 PM »
Sewingj, I'm knitting one of these at the moment.  I started it to supposedly to use up sock yarn but now I buy suitable yarns when I see the right colours.

I wanted to teach myself continental knitting so wanted a project I could do in garter stitch with no complications. I aim to average one square a day and am just about on track apart from a short hiatus when my eldest GS asked for a scarf (can't say "not yet" to a 5 year old, he won't want Grandma knitted things for ever).

Mine is going to be a simple rectangle, not fancy on-point like LMs

LM did you block yours to get it to lie so nice and flat?

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »
No, I confess I haven't blocked it - I thought about it - does that count?
I just smoothed it out for the photo  :)

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 14:03:58 PM »
No, I confess I haven't blocked it - I thought about it - does that count?
I just smoothed it out for the photo  :)

I love the idea that thinking about it does the trick ;), pity it does not work on h*******k :(

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 22:30:02 PM »
I have three crocheted blankets I need to block - do you think it would work if I thought very, very hard? (I hate blocking  :S)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath