The Sewing Place

UFO Bag Help needed

b15erk

UFO Bag Help needed
« on: January 12, 2018, 13:10:26 PM »
As part of my 2018 Sewing Plan, I want to get rid of some UFO's.  The first one is a bag.  I can't remember the name of the pattern, but I don't think that will affect the help I need with it.

The bag is quite large, and I've use strong stiffening which looks nice, but is making it difficult to sew the gusset (?) on, to make it even on both sides.

The gusset is quite wide 20cms, and so there is a lot of bulk to get under the machine.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

I'll make a start by trying to find which pattern it is, and maybe try to take some pictures.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Re: UFO Bag Help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 13:42:27 PM »
Done a bit of looking, and the bag I'm making looks more like the Amy Butler Weekender than the Swoon Stella Weekender.

That may help me to find help.

The bag itself is being just as unco-operative to photograph as it is to sew!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 14:09:05 PM »
What is it that is making it difficult to sew?  Is it that the machine and stitch through the stiff fabric or is it trying to wrestle the stiff fabric under the machine to sew accurately?
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 14:21:22 PM »
Plosh, it's trying to line everything up and get it evenly sewn - it's sliding massively.

I think it may be the Amy Butler pattern, and apparently that has a reputation of being a b**ch to sew!

I could be wrong, it may be the Swoon Stella.....

I'm wondering if I may have to hand stitch, or maybe use fabric glue to hold it in place - pins are just not doing the job.

I'm trying to put some pics up, but internet is not co-operating either!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 14:41:56 PM »
Managed to get pics, so here goes.

First Pic is the side of the bag which I'm not working on, but this will give an idea of the style.

Second is the pitiful attempt I've made at photographing the WIP.  It's pinned right sides together, and the pic is looking down at the side of the bag.

I think what may be happening, is, I've cut the stabiliser a bit shorter than the pattern as instructed, but the stabilised bit is staying put, and the seam where it isn't stabilised, is stretching out.  This may mean a small pleat or two....

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 17:55:38 PM »
Do you have any wonder clips Jessie?  A lot of people use them for holding bag edges together (or things like faux leather that you can't pin)
Life's too short for ironing.