The Sewing Place

Calling the Fairy

jen

Calling the Fairy
« on: December 27, 2017, 13:05:18 PM »
Demented One, you know that skirt? Browsing as you do, I thought of you and it when I saw this
https://www.joelandsonfabrics.com/uk/offers/winter-sale/13563
Just saying.

UttaRetch

Re: Calling the Fairy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 16:22:43 PM »
I saw this and nearly fainted at the price.  You really need to know what you are doing before spending this kind of money.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 16:31:11 PM »
I saw this and nearly fainted at the price.  You really need to know what you are doing before spending this kind of money.

Good grief!  it really is fabulous though

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 17:21:46 PM »
oooooh!
Well if the skirt gets made for steampunk, I'm going for cheap and cheerful...for the Westwood inspired suit, I could be persuaded to splash out a bit [as long as I make elastic waistbands, it will last!]
I've had my eye on this glory from Truro fabricsfor some years now:
https://www.trurofabrics.com/cornish-tartan-silk-hunting.html
C'est moi!

jen

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 19:07:05 PM »
Er... how many metres does it take?

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 19:21:59 PM »
Dunno, but lots lol, maybe 5m?.  It won't be for wearing to work after all, so I'm not forking out for top notch fabrics for this one
However, THIS one may get something POSH

Which takes about 2.5m
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 19:45:06 PM »
Ooh er, missus.

I rather like this

and MimiG used a rather bold check to make her too short version.

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 20:20:44 PM »
I'll be making up this one for part of my SWAP, in something fairly ordinary

And have reclaimed the Koos van den Akker skirt I made for Dawn [she only wore it once] as it fits the SWAP rules nicely.  I wear my purple versiona  lot in winter [it's wool, so too warm for summer!]
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 20:26:40 PM »
I much preferred the striped top

Did you have a go at this?

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 20:31:35 PM »
Yum. Fabulous skirts and fabulous silks (and fabulous prices). I'm not really a skirt person as to wear a skirt sucessfully you've got to have a waist, right? However after seeing this little lot I could definitely be persuaded, waist or no waist.

I've just bought the Joker shirt pattern from the Oki website and once I can muster the energy to print it out and stick it together I'll give it a go. I'm still too sellotaped out after present wrapping at the moment.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 20:40:35 PM »
Hi Tamnymore- you HAVE met me yeah?  lol no waist here, none whatsoever.  Unless I wear a corset of course...

My skirts mostly have elastic bands, and I wear them with untucked tops or tunics.  THese 'art teacher chic' styles are easy to wear, basically secret pyjamas with a bit of style thrown in.  Give 'em a go!
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 21:15:59 PM »
DF, we have yet to meet but I feel I've known you for years. :D

Yes, I am very familiar with the joys of elastic. So much so that many years back when I was at a conference in Vancouver  and while bunking off .... err I mean during a break in proceedings...  I came across my favourite waistband elastic (in the delightfully named Fanny's Fabrics) at a fraction of its UK price. I stocked up with enough to pay for my air fare in savings. My friend couldn't understand why I was smuggling through customs vast quantities of what she assumed was knicker elastic.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Missie

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
I've had my eye on this glory from Truro fabricsfor some years now:
https://www.trurofabrics.com/cornish-tartan-silk-hunting.html

Oh that is rather yummy!

jen

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 16:01:42 PM »
I like all of those skirts. Just pondering whether they would look interestingly arty or plain daft on me.

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 17:51:25 PM »
I equate 'daft' with 'interestingly arty' in any case, so, swings and roundabouts lol.  I get more compliments than puzzled looks when I wear such garb so I think that's mainly a win!
C'est moi!