The Sewing Place

Would it be really naughty of me...

Catllar

Would it be really naughty of me...
« on: December 27, 2017, 17:12:45 PM »
Was talking to an acquaintance the other day ( not a friend) and she just happened to mention she has 2 quote " old sewing machines, very small, Singer"  that her gran left her that she doesn't want. Oh say I casually, send me a photo I' might be  interested.  She has 2 beautiful Featherweights - original cases, lots of attachments. I've offered her 100 euros for one of them, MrC said I ought to buy them both and sell one on. Have I been mean and under offered  d'ya reckon, or might I just be getting something after which I have lusted for a long time??
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Roger

Re: Would it be really naughty of me...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 17:17:56 PM »
I don’t think so, you haven’t tested them and a hundred gbp is about what a 221 sells on eBay after the 15% eBay charges. But I’m not sure of your local prices.

I’d totally try for the other too, after all a pair is totally necessary! And sell one later as the market keeps going up on the whole.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 18:38:41 PM »
If you want a present next Christmas don't be too naughty :- )

I would not rob any of a good sale when they are in dire need of cash, but I think £100 is within reason for a Featherweight, most seem to go for £150, and very fast in my area. With a bit of patience and clever marketing I guess it easily will fetch more. If it's a 222K it can reach 300-400, provided it's in very nice condition, complete with accessories and maybe a few extras.

The 222K has to be the most sought after vintage machine ever. The only machines I know can fetch (quite a bit) more is the early straight stitchers from the 1860s to 1880s, Grover and Baker, maybe a Wheeler and Wilson No 9 in exeptional condition. There are a few rare models collectors are willing to pay way too much for.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:51:17 AM by arrow »

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 20:48:30 PM »
I don't think they are in dire need of cash, but  wouldn't want to to be too mean!! I think the pair might be necessary - for visual balance, you understand.

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 23:52:36 PM »
I would buy them both - with the second one being as an investment. As long as you offer a fair price for them you needn't feel guilty. After all, if you were selling a machine you'd inherited you'd do your research on what it was worth first, wouldn't you?  8)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »
I'd look at prices for your country before buying both at 100 Euros each - otherwise I think you might be underpaying her, and folks have a habit of finding out what things are/were worth eventually!

here 100 euros converts to only 89 pounds sterling, and that is definitely on the low side - even without testing. Just what I think of course, others may differ

:)

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 16:44:04 PM »
I gave her the info - name of machine, date of manufacture and suggested she check it out. She hasn't. Said she can't be bothered. I'd be a mug to insist.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 17:01:36 PM »
It sounds as though if you were to say 'I'll give you x Euros for it, but you might be able to get more if you sold it on Ebay' she will probably take your offer and your conscience will be squeaky clean.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

arrow

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 22:09:28 PM »
Oh, don't suggest sending it in the mail, all sorts of crashes and hits. They really have to be packed expertly to reach the other end of the mail system in one piece or any courier unfortunately.

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »
Buy then both.  If she is willing to accept 200 Euros for the pair she is saving herself a lot of hassle, she doesn't have to advertise them, pack them up and sort out delivery.

You are not robbing her, you've told her to investigate and she hasn't.

Get both, sell one on and enjoy!

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
I gave her the info - name of machine, date of manufacture and suggested she check it out. She hasn't. Said she can't be bothered. I'd be a mug to insist.
Not sure there is anything more you could have done, Catllar.
Definitely buy them.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 17:06:39 PM »
I'll get on to it after the New Year - she only live about 40 minutes away from me too!

Roger

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 17:11:27 PM »
Fab! Looking forward to the pics!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

amymac

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 23:04:24 PM »

In that case I think your offer is fair, you should go for the other one too and I reckon she will be quite happy with that.

A similar thing happened to me.  Sister of a friend had been given a 'wee straight stitch machine in a box' that wasn't making a stitch and she didn't want it as she would rather have a zig zag.  Turns out it was a white 221k and I managed to get it going well with some time and effort on removing trapped threads, cleaning and oiling.  She still didn't want it, wasn't interested in ebaying it and we did a swap that suited us both, though we both think we got the better deal!

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 21:56:32 PM »
So update: Not heard from her so I rang the other day. Now she's not sure if she wants to sell them - her husband says they are family history - maybe, but neither of them sew - so I said that these machines are designed to work and be used, not sat in a dusty damp garage and they would be loved. Obviously I can't force their hand so I just said that if and when they change their mind please let me have first refusal.