The Sewing Place

My Daughter's Prom Dress.

Sandra

Re: My Daughter's Prom Dress.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 08:28:41 AM »
She has a bit of the Kate Bush about her if you dont mind me saying ... and I do mean that as a big compliment ...

Oooooh!  I'll tell her you said that. She'll be delighted. We both love Kate Bush.  <3

She (my daughter) scrubs up really well and looks fabulous in full make up. She seems to have a vintage vibe to her look, without trying.

DD ordered her wedding dress online, it came from China but via a company in the UK ( I suppose they 'vet' them) and it was lovely, great value for what she paid for it. When she told me what she had done (she didn't mention the UK company) I was horrified.

It's hit and miss and a bit of a gamble, but when they're badly made, they seem to be really, really bad.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »
Sandra, your daughter looks beautiful!  I agree completely with the Kate Bush comment - she's gorgeous!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
She does look lovely, that dress is a complete success  0_0

Nevis5

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
Your daughter looks amazing!  Hope she had a wonderful time.

Catllar

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 14:07:04 PM »
Hairdresser doesn't "do" prom hair or curls?? - what do they do then? Short back and sides or a nice perm???  She looks lovely and just think how you can repurpose all that fabric into a simpler dress for her!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

sewingj

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2018, 14:26:26 PM »
She looks lovely.  She is a similar shape to my daughter and it was really difficult finding her a prom dress - then a university ball dress - and finally, a wedding dress!  You`ve done really well

Fabric Lover

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 22:16:20 PM »
Your daughter looks stunning! Hair and dress a true success.  Hope she had a wonderful evening.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Sandra

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 08:08:32 AM »
I've told her of your lovely comments. She's been smiling and said how nice all the ladies are on The Sewing Place.  :)  She's a heavier girl than she ought to be so she doesn't always feel she looks very good...your comments have given her a boost.

I asked her if she enjoyed the evening.....she said it was...'alright'.  :\
I'm so glad we didn't spend any more money than we did on her.

Daughter told me that one girl had been banned from attending the prom due to her being temporarily excluded from school in the previous few months...( in fact, several kids weren't allowed to attend due to exclusions)...however, this particular girl bought the dress, make up, hair etc and turned up at the venue so she could have her pictures taken outside.  :o  Then she went home.

Sandra.
xxx

Greybird

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
Just catching up with this. I think she looks lovely too (hair and dress!). The dress is a similar style to the one I made my daughter for her college ball, but hers was black. She was a size 18 at the time - down to a 10-12 now - but she still kept the dress up until a couple of years ago because she loved it.