The Sewing Place

Adjustoform broken (sob) - Update

sewingj

Adjustoform broken (sob) - Update
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »
I was about to embark on re-padding my dress form and have realised that one of the adjusters has broken - the bracket that holds it in place has snapped.
 I`ve email Adjustoform but they are out of the office until next week.I`ve had it less than 3 years so I really don`t want to have to replace it yet.  I can`t see how the bracket could be replaced as it is very difficult to get to.  I bought it online and don`t have a local supplier I could take it to.
I`m not happy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:30:05 AM by sewingj »

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Adjustoform broken (sob)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 14:06:22 PM »
Oh no, and they are not cheap to replace! Let's hope you can replace the bit that's broken.

sewingj

Re: Adjustoform broken (sob)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 16:54:48 PM »
Husband has now looked at it and reckons that if we can get them to supply a new adjuster we (he) should be able to fit it - would have to cut into a bit of the cover to get at the screws that hold it in place but I can live with that.

They are back at work on Tuesday so I shall have to be patient until then

sewingj

Re: Adjustoform broken (sob) - Update
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »
Adjustoform replied to me - their minimum charge for spares is £12 inc. p&p and for that they have supplied 3 pairs of the white bracket things (I only actually need one) plus an instruction sheet showing how to fit them.

I think it`ll be a bit of a fiddly job but hopefully husband and I will be able to manage it between us

p.s. I suppose this is one good reason for dealing with a company who manufactures in the UK - don`t think I would have got the same service from some International companies

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »
I think you've been unlucky SJ.  I don't know what make mine is, Helena is the model, but she's been carted round and generally poorly treated for the last 20 odd years, and is still intact.

Fingers crossed your OH can sort it out.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 14:41:46 PM »
Did you get it fixed @sewingj ?

I think you were unlucky and although I've only had mine a couple of years, she's been walloped around, stood on her head and all sorts trying to get some stubborn leotards :S and tight lycra dresses on and off! :ninja:
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 16:51:32 PM »
Yes it was a bit fiddly as we had to reach in to take off the old brackets and put back the new one - and it is a bit of a tight squeeze - also had to unpeel/cut some of the fabric covering.
It was the waist adjuster which was adjusted to maximum (no comments please) so I think it was under strain and I had knocked her over which probably put extra pressure on it and it snapped.  I`m being more careful with her now!

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 23:33:20 PM »
thanks for posting about this, it's good to know they have spares.

I loaned my dress form to a friend for photographing the clothes she wanted to sell on on line.  It was returned with an apology that she'd broken the piece that holds the neck together.  The whole white disk and lugs, used to hold the 4 upper body pieces together at the neck.

Will email them to see if they can offer a replacement - far better than trussing it up with gaffer tape.