The Sewing Place

[SOLVED] @member name in reply

UttaRetch

[SOLVED] @member name in reply
« on: December 29, 2017, 14:28:36 PM »
Can we have an active @member name in replies, for example '@Ravingdoll: what did Muv say?'  It's used in other fora I visit and I find it a handy shortcut where I don't want to quote, but am addressing a specific person.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:34:46 AM by Francesca »

Sewingsue

Re: @member name in reply
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 14:58:03 PM »
Can we have an active @member name in replies, for example '@Ravingdoll: what did Muv say?'  It's used in other fora I visit and I find it a handy shortcut where I don't want to quote, but am addressing a specific person.
I am sure that would be useful for those who understand it, but could it be optional please?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 16:36:44 PM »
This does exist as a free feature. It sends an email to the member in particular. It wouldn't be option though.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 16:42:31 PM »
I think that would be quite a good feature, especially if someone was replying a bit later and the recipient might not have revisited the thread.  Regardless of whether it's Words According to Muv or otherwise!!  :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 20:05:02 PM »
This does exist as a free feature. It sends an email to the member in particular. It wouldn't be option though.
Sorry Fran, I don't understand your response.  Can you expand?

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 20:08:00 PM »
@uttaretch just trying lol
C'est moi!

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 20:10:16 PM »
I think it would be good to have the option about whether emails are received. I've stopped emails from many different sources, including most of Facebook's because I was overrun with email.

It would be a handy feature to have to use the @ to get someone's attention but I think it would be nice to have the option about the emails. Maybe there's a space in the menu bar above that could signal when someone writes, similar to private messages.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 20:13:17 PM by Sewbee »

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 20:13:27 PM »
@Francesca: just reread your response and see what you mean.  Is it something that you would not be prepared to consider?

Roger

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 20:39:26 PM »
Hi UR,

I think what Fran is saying is that it can be turned on, but once on every time some uses @memberName it would complete the action (receivers settings allowing) there wouldn’t be an option for the action not to happen.

Does that help, I’m sure Fran will correct me in a few.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 20:56:12 PM »
Hi UR,

I think what Fran is saying is that it can be turned on, but once on every time some uses @memberName it would complete the action (receivers settings allowing) there wouldn’t be an option for the action not to happen.

Does that help, I’m sure Fran will correct me in a few.

If we still have some control via our own settings, then it would be ok.

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 22:15:03 PM »
Sorry Fran, I don't understand your response.  Can you expand?

It's a feature we could implement which will send an email to the person who is mentioned. However, it may not be optional as requested. If someone mentioned you, you'd might get an email. Of course you could choose to ignore it. I need to research further.

There might not be settings to adjust on an individual member level. So we would only implement it if the majority wanted it and those who don't wish to be notified might just have to ignore the email.

Modifications like this are likely something we would put to subscriber vote.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 22:19:35 PM by Francesca »

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 08:33:03 AM »
Thanks, Fran.  If this feature is to be put to a vote, members have to be aware of how it works and whether or not notification can be switched off.

I am a member of a forum where I have switched off private messaging but when anyone mentions me, notification appears in a 'sidebar'.  Don't know how much fiddling would need to be done behind the scenes to make this possible.

edited to update.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 13:25:43 PM by UttaRetch »

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 20:12:10 PM »
This mod has now been implemented, but might need some testing.

I've mentioned a few users but am not seeing the mentions listed, so we shall see...

If you want to view your mentions, please go to Profile > Account Settings > Mentions, there you will find a list, and also a tickbox allowing you to unsubscribe from the mention emails.

However at present, I'm not seeing any mentions in my name so it might not be working.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 20:14:59 PM by Francesca »

elephun

Re: INSTALLED: @member name in reply
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 20:46:18 PM »
@Francesca - Can you see this in your mentions now?

Francesca

Re: INSTALLED: @member name in reply
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 20:53:28 PM »
Nope :( Just me then  0_0