The Sewing Place

Jalie bomber jacket - which sleeves to cut?

Vezelay

Jalie bomber jacket - which sleeves to cut?
« on: December 30, 2017, 21:18:11 PM »
So I'm making the Jalie Charlie jacket: https://jalie.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=charlie and I'm torn between cutting the sleeves from the same fabric as the front and back - a nice black floral ponte - or using a black cotton lycra remnant. I suppose I'm concerned that the former might look a bit flowery, given that I'm mainly a jeans, sweatshirt and fleece sort of gal. But also I don't think I've ever made a garment from more than one fabric before (must be a name for that but I can't think what). I've done a rather tentative mock-up on my dressform and taken a photo but I still can't decide. Hopefully it gives some idea of the options.

Just wondering what you clever folk would go for on that basis. I've cut the other pattern pieces out and have to sew the pockets first but I'll need to decide about the sleeves tomorrow.

Thanks a mil for any feedback.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 21:24:09 PM by Vezelay »

Acorn

Re: Jalie bomber jacket - which sleeves to cut?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 21:24:03 PM »
Ooh that's a tricky one.  I think either is going to be lovely, but I would probably go for all the same fabric.  That really is just personal preference though.

It's called colour blocking when it's different parts of the same piece, so I expect that applies when it's different pieces in different fabrics too.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 21:28:03 PM »
Colour blocking - of course! :| One for the floral sleeves then, thanks Acorn.

Mocarroll

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 21:35:39 PM »
Now, you see, I would go the other way and colour block! Front panels in pattern, sleeves in black, back could be either plain or patterned. Decisions, decisions...

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 21:42:00 PM »
I'd go for the floral sleeves too.  :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 21:46:30 PM »
I think floral sleeves too, otherwise, to me anyway, it may look a bit 80s??

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 22:01:43 PM »
I think it really depends on whether or not you would be happy wearing all floral.
I rarely use more than one fabric and avoid contrasting bits like the plague but I'm not a big pattern wearer and if I was using that patterned fabric for myself I would feel the need to tone it down with black sleeves.

ps. You've done it again, just my sort of pattern.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 00:11:52 AM »
As you already appear to have used the plain black for the welt I would go for the plain sleeves.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 01:15:48 AM »
I would go for the plain sleeves too.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Fiona M

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 07:46:38 AM »
Plain sleeves vote from me too.  It will look fab!

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input which helped me decide. I've opted for the plain sleeve and cut the fabric. I wonder if I can finish it before our New Year's Day lunchtime get to-gether? That's the plan anyway so back to the pockets.

Vezelay

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »
So now I've fished out the 22" black metal separating zip I was thinking of using and it looks way too heavy. I should probably use a plastic toothed one but I don't have any. Hickey's should be open this afternoon but I don't hold out much hope for finding the exact right one there :(. Ah well, press on anyway. It's too late to change tack and start something new. And the sun is now shining so a NYE walk may be on the cards anyway!