The Sewing Place

January's BOM - The Aurora

Madame Cholet

Re: January's BOM
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 23:56:06 PM »
Thank you all so much for your kind encouragement!  <3

The Dark Side faeries have had me in their cross hairs for some time now methinks, as I was given a cutting board and a Bernina walking foot for my birthday in October, and then a few weeks ago I found a copy of Linda Clements' "The Quilters Bible" in a charity shop for the princely sum of £1.75  8)
So I gave in and bought myself a rotary cutter too.
(I have done patchwork before, as in making fabric to make clothes out of patchwork, but nothing as precise as this...)

My block has kind of taken on a life of its own now - I got it out again this evening and it is turning into a cushion cover:

It is a strange mixture of polycotton, cotton, and viscose, but I have really enjoyed sewing it. I have some batting  wadding stashed away somewhere, so the next step is to quilt it, which will be another first for me  :[

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 17:33:51 PM by Madame Cholet »

fajita

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 00:35:30 AM »
Brilliant job, MadamC. I can hear the addiction taking hold.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 05:12:11 AM »
Mdme Cholet, you are obviously a natural, picking up the purple in the pattern ...

Enjoy quilting it, but keep it simple and do post pics ....

We Darksiders loooooove pics!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 09:10:59 AM »
Welcome to Hotel California The Dark Side proper, Choley girl, it's a lovely block  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 13:49:33 PM »
That is lovely MC, we knew you could do it. A big welcome to the dark side 0_0
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Madame Cholet

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 19:06:56 PM »
Ooer in my post above I said the b...... word.
Sorry Lowena!  :|  ;)

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
You are well and truly forgiven Choley   <3 <3 ... ( just don't err again  :devil: ) :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Cheesecake

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 15:38:56 PM »
Here’s mine.  Think I need to go fabric shopping soon, I didn’t plan to use same fabric as Decembers (different shade plain although cannot really tell).

Madame Cholet

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 17:40:18 PM »
Enjoy quilting it, but keep it simple and do post pics ....

I have an hour or two tonight I intend to devote to quilting it.
I have some wadding and a backing piece cut about an inch or so larger all round and last night I pinned the layers in place and then hand tacked them together and removed the pins.
I thought I could machine straight stitch around the edge of each individual motif - would that be good idea do you think?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 18:27:44 PM »
Marvellous Cheesecake and welcome to 2018 BOM HOF ...

I'm sure you'll find the way ...

:angel:

Suziequeue

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 18:57:10 PM »
I am really keen to do the BOTM in 2018.

I thought in order to motivate myself to do it every month I would use the same colour scheme for each block and then at the end, make the blocks up into a 3x4 block quilt, using leftover material to add borders to blocks if they need to be made up to size or for binding etc.

I went to our local quilting barn and fell in love with this cake pattern, so I chose other materials around that.....

Ploshkin

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 19:05:36 PM »
I thought I could machine straight stitch around the edge of each individual motif - would that be good idea do you think?

Madame C.  I'm a big fan of diagonal quilting (diagonal lines or chevron) using the corners of the pieces for guiding the lines.  I've only quilted 4 things so just a very novicey novice but I've found this works really well and pucker free and looks quite effective.

Another thing that can look good and I think Is easier than stitching in the ditch is stitching 1/4" away from the seam lines.
Life's too short for ironing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 20:29:04 PM »
Madame C.  I'm a big fan of diagonal quilting (diagonal lines or chevron) using the corners of the pieces for guiding the lines.  I've only quilted 4 things so just a very novicey novice but I've found this works really well and pucker free and looks quite effective.

Another thing that can look good and I think Is easier than stitching in the ditch is stitching 1/4" away from the seam lines.

Thank you  :flower:, I like the idea of not stitching in the ditch. Once I have prised Cece (my avatar cat) off my project I intend to make a start.

Suziequeue

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 17:17:34 PM »
On the basis of “measure/check twice, cut once”...... can I just check - I start with two squares exactly 10” square and after some cutting and pasting, I come out with a twelve and a half inch square - presumably because the hypotenuses of the original triangles become the edges of the resulting block.

Is that right?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 17:35:05 PM by Suziequeue »

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 18:12:44 PM »
Yup I think so ...

But yours might be 12 3/4" ... every-bodies 1/4" seam is different!

and if you can divide the resultant hour glass block by 3, away you go.
Your end block will be a slightly different size to mine, but as long as all your blocks are the same, you are good to go!