The Sewing Place

January's BOM - The Aurora

Suziequeue

Re: January's BOM
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 18:48:48 PM »
Thank you.

My four squares seem to have come out different shapes and sizes -< -< -<.

I took such care to get the measuring right. Is it OK for an amateur to cut the four squares to size (6 1/2” squares) after the stitching?

I appreciate that this shouldn’t be necessary if I had done perfect seams and perfect everything else etc. But I am where I am. I am assuming that as long as I keep the diagonal on track then I can just shave a bit off two sides???

Sorry to keep asking. One of the reasons why I wanted to do the BOTM is to improve my technical skills a bit.

Lowena

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 19:15:19 PM »
I'll let you into a dark side secret Susie..... no one is perfect and almost everyone evens / squares / recuts their blocks as it is very difficult to get them all exactly the same. Never beat yourself up about mistakes...... it all comes out in the wash assemblage  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 19:24:48 PM »
Accuracy comes with practice (lots of it, over years!)

Whilst we try to cut and sew accurately, it is always wise to check the size of the various units as you go - it reduces the chances of disappointment with the results and of flinging the fabric onto the floor to be jumped on.  ;)

Suziequeue

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2018, 20:17:21 PM »
Thank you. I will re-shape (I like that word!!) the square and see how far I get.

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 07:43:53 AM »
Are we talking about the first step, making the hour glass block?

Low is completely right, no-ones blocks are ever 100% perfect and, especially with HST's, I often make them just that lil bit bigger and square them down to the right size.

Usually Destructions for an HST are to cut squares  7/8ths of an inch  bigger than the desired finished size ...
7/8th 's   :angry: My arse!! Cut  them an inch (or more) bigger and square down!

Ask as many questions as you like, we have all been there and done that .. even if its to ourselves in an empty room!!!
You should have heard me rave yesterday as I was trying to put a block together that simply wouldn't go!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »

Usually Destructions for an HST are to cut squares  7/8ths of an inch  bigger than the desired finished size ...
7/8th 's   :angry: My arse!! Cut  them an inch (or more) bigger and square down!

I second that! I always cut mine at least to the next inch.....you can cut off, but you can't add a sliver on  ;)

Suziequeue

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 20:01:42 PM »
Thankyou. That’s very reassuring. Yes - I am on step one!!  and aleady run into difficulties

supergran

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2018, 18:52:18 PM »
I've had 2 attempts at this one
The first one wasn't so good. I've circled the bit I didn't like. Then I put the thinking head on and did the second one. I was really careful to do a scant 1/4 inch seam and then I didn't square up the resulting HST's. My block turned out at 12 3/4 inches, which was perfect and the rest came together pretty well. I think the trick is to square up the HST's if necessary, but don't cut any off the hourglass block, as you can lose the points in places. I want to put sashing on mine later and make it into something so I needed to keep the points.

Lowena

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2018, 19:02:07 PM »
Very nice Supergran :)

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2018, 19:14:59 PM »
Beautiful SG ...

Off you pop into the BOM HOF you go ......

:angel:      :angel:

Francesca

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2018, 21:22:21 PM »
You may even tempt me Im now that I have The Splurge and that lovely 1/4" foot...

I wonder if I could make a few for a small throw for my spare bedroom...

supergran

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2018, 22:00:36 PM »
Course you could Fran. If you can make clothes, a throw will be a piece of cake.  :flower:

Francesca

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 22:03:42 PM »
I have a voucher from a shop that does lovely cotton fabrics...

Only annoying thing is my ruler is so clunky as it's a big one. I guess it's still doable though!

I might have a look through the older BOMs to find a simpler one to start with...

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
Start with some from last year, the simpler ones, build up.

How about Foxy, the Brucie Bonus Block in December ?

Lowena

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »
Foxy is straightforward Fran, even I can vouch for that  0_0
If you can make clothes then p&q is a doddle, love your block and look forward to seeing more. :ninja: