The Sewing Place

Official White Sewalong

Francesca

Official White Sewalong
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »
There have been lots of Q's about the White sewalong cropping up so although it's not for a few months I thought I would create a new thread where discussion can be had.

I'm also bringing the start date forward as there seems to be much excitement  :D

Introduction
This competition is for white garments only. Any garment welcome including undies, but not home dec or quilts. You must use white fabric for the majority of your creation (more explanation later).

Dates
The competition will run from Monday 1st May (bank holiday) - Wednesday 31st May. You have until 23.59 on the 31st to complete. Due to my being away from the forum you have until 23.59 2nd June to submit your entry.

Rules
  • Your garment must use white or a very neutral cream fabric! Preferably it should have no prints, though a white-on-white or very subtle print or pattern (e.g maybe through embroidery or jacquard) would be accepted. We ask that 95% of your item be sewn from white fabric. You can use colour on zips, buttons, bindings and interlinings. Use your own judgement when it comes to the 95% rule, or post a pic if you're not sure.
  • You MUST NOT cut your fabric until the 1st May. You can only wash it, dry it, prepare patterns, sew a toile etc. You cannot cut your fabric.
  • You must post at least 5 times in this thread to qualify. Please be involved and post updates!
  • You must submit at least three pictures; one of your uncut fabric, one of mid-construction, and one of the finished garment. (These pics needs to be submitted at the end, so they don't have to be posted in-thread unless you want to).

How To Enter

Entries should be submitted by email to sewalongs@thesewingplace.org.uk with the subject Stash Sewalong.

Copy the following and fill it out:

Username:
A short title and blurb about your entry, no more than 150 words:
Attach three images as stated in the rules*

*If you have lots of images to share, send them in separate emails. Just write "1 of 3" etc in the subject line, or zip them up. Or use WeTransfer.  We strongly encourage that you wear your garment or get someone else to model it for you. This is the main photo that people will judge you on and people really like to see others wearing garments, it looks a million times better than something hanging sorrily on a hanger! People are far less likely to be as critical of your body as you are, so please please please do consider modelling garments! These pictures will be posted in our gallery, on the voting page, and the winner's thread. If you have made a complete outfit with multiple garments, you can wear them together in one pic. Just state it in the email.

How To Win
Winners will be chosen by public vote.

Prizes
Thanks to Holly Berry who is donating the prize for this round!

1st Prize:
£15 voucher for Lovely Jubbly Fabrics
£15 voucher for Amazon
£15 voucher for high street coffee chains: Nero, Starbucks or Costa.

Runner-up: £5 value of the same as above.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 17:05:51 PM by Francesca »

Francesca

Re: Official White Sewalong
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:15:45 AM »
This post is reserved for FAQs.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »
Some inspiration:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:44:41 AM by Francesca »

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 14:34:08 PM »
Can I have the last one on the top row please?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 14:38:07 PM »
Can I have the last one on the top row please?

*sigh* yep, wouldn't we all?

It was a tough job searching for these images but someone's gotta do it :*

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 14:40:31 PM »
Some lovely ideas there.  Mine will be a shirt.

See, Done! :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 20:56:50 PM »
Got some lovely white textured cotton bought in  Malaysia last year and today  ordered a StyleArc pattern, so am up and running!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »
I bought some insanely gorgeous ivory silk satin last year, for a shirt for the missus- but she has not matched it to a pattern yet, so it will default to me if she isn't careful- it's way too lovely to sit in stash...
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 00:31:48 AM »
I'm thinking of making Simplicity 1106
View B (black on the pattern envelope).

Would a pink and white print for the back insert be acceptable?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 09:42:29 AM »
I'm thinking of making Simplicity 1106
View B (black on the pattern envelope).

Would a pink and white print for the back insert be acceptable?

I'm going to have to say no :(

I understand that it's quite a small part of the design, but I think the importance here is to sew a white garment, which means white fabric entirely.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »
OK - I'll think about a white lace insert.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Pinkstar

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 14:56:45 PM »

This competition is for white garments only. Any garment welcome including undies, but not home dec or quilts.

Does it have to be a garment for a human?

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 18:55:16 PM »
Had a look through stash and I've got some 6" wide white galloon lace which just wide enough so I'll use that.  It's symmetrical down the length so that's a plus point. 0_0

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 19:28:43 PM »
Does it have to be a garment for a human?

Nope! It just needs to be an item of clothing/wearable.

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 19:51:22 PM »
Had a look through stash and I've got some 6" wide white galloon lace which just wide enough so I'll use that.  It's symmetrical down the length so that's a plus point. 0_0

That's just reminded me that I have some lovely lace waiting to be used.  Now, what to make? 
C'est moi!