The Sewing Place

Official White Sewalong

Fabric Lover

Re: Official White Sewalong
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 00:16:09 AM »
Does the fabric have to be from stash - i.e 3 months old as the previous competition?
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

DementedFairy

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
Does the fabric have to be from stash - i.e 3 months old as the previous competition?

No, it's a different competition
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »
I used the pink and white fabric over the weekend to make a wearable toile.  It's OK, but I don't really like the style now that it's made up so thinking cap back on to decide what to make with the white fabric which I have.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
I've only just spotted this thread - and that the competition started yesterday.  But no problem, I don't have any white fabric  :(
Maybe I should order some white jersey from somewhere??  Although I'm not at all sure that me and white go together, it wouldn't be white for very long...

Francesca

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 22:24:45 PM »
Pleased to announce that Holly Berry has offered to donate the prize fund for this round (what goes around comes around eh?) so a big thanks to Holly Berry!

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 13:05:01 PM »
I'm having to be really good this month, so I'm still stash busting like mad.  Apart from the aforementioned ivory silk, I'm struggling to find anything inspiring in white.  I do tend to go for pattern and colour, so this is a good challenge for me.  I am wary of ending up looking like Moby Dick though... 
Most of what I do have is leftovers and remnants from other makes, so I may have to get ingenious.  I do need some more petticoats [never enough for a good steampunk] and I make those out of old sheets, so that may work.  Perhaps I could find enough white jersey remnants to do something pieced, but white-on-white...
And I know I have a fair amount of lace in the lace-drawer...
I need to go stash diving, excuse me!
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 13:48:50 PM »
Most of what I do have is leftovers and remnants from other makes, so I may have to get ingenious.

This is what I like about these competitions, ingenuity!

I might even play along with this one, though I am wary of wearing white because I find it makes me look larger.

DementedFairy

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 14:05:41 PM »
I am wary of wearing white because I find it makes me look larger.

Cheat.  Make a white chiffony shirt, to wear over colours.  Lovely!

Or a summery lacey white skirt, they're ALWAYS in fashion

Or knickers

Or a corset...go on, you know you want to!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 14:12:46 PM »
I have a black and white leaf print skirt and wore a white 'airtex' gym top for school, but in recent memory I don't recall wearing anything all white.

Francesca

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 14:15:26 PM »
Or a corset...go on, you know you want to!

Oh I so want to make a corset one day but the fact I can't even get a basic top to fit means a corset would never fit my crazy proportions!

DementedFairy

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 14:18:24 PM »
Underbust, easy to start with!
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 14:39:04 PM »
Underbust, easy to start with!

It's the hips I'm more worried about  -<

DementedFairy

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 14:46:58 PM »
A generous 'Hip spring' is the aim of all corsetieres.  I have to pad!
C'est moi!

Lyn-J

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 18:36:51 PM »
Why all the "expert" wardrobe planners say start with a white shirt is beyond me. Not since I left school....  :S
I've got a plain white tee-shirt and a vest top planned, I rarely do white, I prefer cream, it softer.
Are we posting on this thread?
Can we continue with a non-competitive stash busting thread?

Addict

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 20:13:02 PM »
Ive just cut out some White trousers from stash.