The Sewing Place

Featherweights... how do you pack yours?

Roger

Featherweights... how do you pack yours?
« on: January 25, 2018, 21:49:28 PM »
I can’t seem to get my featherweight (221) packed sensibly in its box with tray and leads...

So I wanted to ask.... how do you pack yours?

Thank you!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Acorn

Re: Featherweights... how do you pack yours?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 22:06:03 PM »
Strangely enough I was having precisely that problem a couple of hours ago.

I'm not entirely sure how I sorted it, but I do remember that the base had to be wiggled a bit until it went into its indentation at the bottom, and the tray fits with the hole over the spool pin, and that too needed to be wiggled a bit before it sat correctly - and the tray stands slightly proud of the top of the box, but that's how the lid fits on.  My leads fitted into the tray, but wouldn't have done if there was much more in there, so I did wonder whether the pedal etc were supposed to be down inside the main part - in the harp maybe?

It really was a matter of having to wiggle it a bit to find the best fit at each stage.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 22:33:08 PM »
I have to wiggle mine about in the same way and I put the foot pedal and leads under the harp.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »
I think there is some information on t'internet somewhere I'll look.

I put the machine in the box first, but the foot and electrics slide into the metal strips in the lid.  I then fold the wires as tidily as possible.  There are 2 different types of tool box, mine is the one which fits over two screws on the top left hand side of the carrying case.

The Featherweight Shop may be where I saw this information, they have a website and a FB page, and they are really quick at answering messages.

Jessie

eta, I'll try to take a pic tonight, I'm in work atm.
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:25:11 AM »
Thanks all,
I’m glad I don’t seem to be too far off... it’s all quite a snug fit, and I was worried I was missing a trick or not treating it as well as it needs :)

I actually got a cable for it recently and it’s sounds beautiful running :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
I stuff the leads on top of the machine.. :ninja:..I’m going to make a soft pouch to put them in to stop the plug scratching the machine... I have two, the tray is missing from the 222K box and the 221 doesn’t have any fixings, just the plain blue box.

LeilaMay

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
Yes there are variations inside the box, but whatever works best. I have one where there are fittings in the lid for the wires - it's easier to fit everything in that box.
The other had the wires wrapped in a tea towel to stop scratching when I received it - only trouble was it had been shut up like that for decades, and the smell of damp mouldy tea towel has yet to dissipate from inside the case  :(

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:35:21 AM »
My case - and the machine itself - smelled very musty indeed when I first had it.  Having had a similar problem with a vintage leather briefcase a few years ago (where I tried every single idea I could find and everything failed) I suspected there was little that could be done, and research suggested that a) it was a common Featherweight problem, and b) I was right about the lack of solution.

What I have done - as I did with the leather briefcase - was to buy this leather fragrance oil and put a drop in each corner of the case.  It has worked - it does now smell of leather, of course, but that's a vast improvement and rather nice!

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:44:32 AM »
Ah, I filled mine with dried lavender and kept the lid propped open, but I like your idea :)

arrow

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 14:21:29 PM »
I don't know about ideal storage or stacking the parts in the case. I wrap a piece of fabric around cords and pedals when they are stored on the sewing bed.

For the moldy smell, I will eventually air out, I promise, but it can take a long time and bit of effort. All the tricks like , cleaning them with soapy water then vinegar solution, having it out side on a sunny day, keeping the lid open, keep the case and machine in a heated room, keep a pouch of baking soda or heaps of silica bags when closed, replacing them regularly, etc. work. I read of someone who apparently had the worst Featherweight case ever, she just couldn't stand it, her trick was to clean best she could, and sacrificed a few bags of ground coffee now and then. It gradully absorbed the bad smell enough for her to keep the case open in her sewing room.  It takes time, I know, the worst usually improves with a good cleaning, within a few days and weeks further improvement, but completely can take years. It will not improve if it packed away and ignored. It's all the regular things we well know that works, we just have to keep it up. I'm thinking we should improve the houses we live in, they should be clean and dry from loft to cellar ;- )
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 20:44:58 PM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 20:19:24 PM »
My Pfaff stank of smoke when I got it... I cleaned the case and the machine inside and out with baby wipes (yeah again) and aired it... now it just smells of fresh sewing machine oil and well baby wipe...

My FW has the pedal and plug tucked in a really uncomfortable but thick sock I tucked behind the extension table and the wires into the harp, and that seems to have worked currently.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 21:12:19 PM »
For your entertainment...

There is a Featherweight for sale on Etsy.

"It could be used as it was intended for sewing... Selling as spares or repair because of few missing bits(see pictures)... £175"   :o

A few missing bits...   :o :o

Roger

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 21:21:52 PM »
Lol... what do you mean? it’s still featherweight shaped with extension table and tension and even has the stitch length lever! What more do you want on a unique fixer upper....

Hehehe  :fish:

Madame Cholet

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 23:59:14 PM »
For your entertainment...

There is a Featherweight for sale on Etsy.

"It could be used as it was intended for sewing... Selling as spares or repair because of few missing bits(see pictures)... £175"   :o

A few missing bits...   :o :o

Gosh that is a forlorn looking little thing  :'(