The Sewing Place

Sure fit designs

sewingandsewing

Sure fit designs
« on: July 14, 2017, 00:03:23 AM »
Has anyone done a sure fit design course (one day)?  There is one on in Warrington on Sat. I told the lady I really want to go but I'm not sure if I can make it yet. She has said it is OK to turn up on the day if I can make it. I don't want to go if it is going to be a waste of money as I don't have any spare at the minute. If you have been on one , was it worth it and have you used the knowledge , if any since going. TIA

Jo

Re: Sure fit designs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
Haven't been on any and haven't tested the system, but am part of their facebook group. Lots of happy people on there :)
How much is it?

Stitches

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
I use the Sure fit Dress kit and find it really good .not done any courses .

sewingandsewing

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 14:01:30 PM »
Haven't been on any and haven't tested the system, but am part of their facebook group. Lots of happy people on there :)
How much is it?
I can't remember the exact price but it was around £45-£50 which includes lunch and a goody bag. Starts at 9.30am and finishes around 4.30pm. I have always wanted to learn pattern drafting so was hoping this would be a start in the right direction.

sewingandsewing

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 14:03:01 PM »
I use the Sure fit Dress kit and find it really good .not done any courses .
Stitches, what exactly to you get in the kit and is it easy to use/follow?

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 15:22:47 PM »
Hi  Sewingandsewing

May I suggest if you have time tonight to look up Sure-fit Designs website and have a look at how they bundle their products, this will give you some idea of what is available and often they 'bundle' items together at a special price.

There is a basic dress kit, a basic shirt kit, a basic pants/ trousers kit   and in with the basic pattern sheet which you use to create your own ‘ Body Blueprint’ you need the Designing Stylus, the tracing vellum, and within the kit that you buy comes cardboard templates for darts, another template to use when creating the armhole on larger sizes, a very clear instruction book with diagrams and of course you also have  access to the Sure-fit video library on their website.

I bought my Sure-fit kit/kits from the USA a few years ago, and yes it was expensive so was the postage, but the lady Judith  Johnson  is UK based so has everything you need over here which must be a tremendous saving, also I had a hefty UK Customs charge as well.

There are follow on books, i.e. Bodices that Mix ‘n’ Multiply Beyond Bodice Basics,  Pants that mix ‘n’ Multiply,  Sew Sensational Shirts.

So although these extra books are useful they are not necessarily needed when you first start out, they are just showing you how you take ‘Your Personal  Body Blueprint’ and create different styles.

There are also plentiful DVDs on how to do everything, some come as standard, others are part of the ‘bundle’

Glenda Sparling the person and owner of Surefit Designs is very clear in the way she shows you how to do things, and of course makes it look so very easy.  Glenda is a very slim person, so anything looks good on her, whereas I am the complete opposite.

Whilst I have exchanged e-mails with Judith here in the UK I haven’t met her, but I did order some of the tracing vellum when it was on special offer last September.

There are also some pattern leaflets  available, and  these can be downloaded and printed here at home, there is a small charge for some of the leaflets.

You will find that Judith is likely to be demonstrating how to create the ‘body blueprint’ on a wall or board and easel, but we at home would do this on a table.

I did spend quite a lot of time watching all I could about this system before I bought it, Glenda describes everything she is doing very clearly and of course is easy to follow.

With Judith being the Rep. here in the UK you do not have to go ordering a huge amount at any one time, just get what you think you need to get you started and then once you have mastered this and have a garment to show for your efforts that fits you and you are comfortable in it, then go exploring some of the other kits and books, without going and looking at the website I do not know the UK prices, but I would think they would be a lot cheaper than buying from the USA plus the postage and then UK Customs charges.

By having a look at the Sure-fit Website before you go, have a look at the USA site, and then the UK site and see what differences there are, I am presuming that Judith will be doing what the Americans call 'Combos' i.e. bundling items together but I am not sure.

If I can help any more please come back to me.  Have fun tomorrow, hope  you are inspired to create.

Stitches

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 16:56:12 PM »
I got the trouser kit about 6 years ago found it very good . I use grease proof paper for drawing my patterns.Got the dress kit this year when I was having issues with a another system . The dress kit comes with waist dart , bust darts .book that explains everything. You do not need to do a fba with sure fit if you look at sure fit on  you tube Glenda has lots of videos explain how to use the kits. Hope this helps .

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 18:07:22 PM »
I seriously considered this when I was looking at pattern-cutting but was put off by the transatlantic cost issues. I've now got lots of other resources so it would be a retrograde step as I need to draft patterns for different people although her videos are still full of very useful information to transfer to my own patterns.

If there'd been a UK rep and all the benefits that entails, I'm sure I would have gone for it.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewingandsewing

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 05:42:52 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. Sorry I didn't manage to get back and reply.
Well I went on the day course and enjoyed it. I bought the dress kit as that I think will be more useful to me plus I just couldn't afford the combo kits at over £100.
Judith is lovely and explained everything. We were all given the opportunity to ask questions, which she answered.
 I am not a novice sewer but I still have a lot to learn and drafting is something I have always wanted to do so I am glad I was given the opportunity to go on this course.
If it is something you would like to do I would say yes go for it. The kits are expensive so I would stop and think about what you would use before you spend out buying combo kits. I personally won't use the man's kit and probably not the children's one either. I think with children's patterns there are plenty of free ones out there so you can get an idea of sizes from them. The dress kit can be used for dresses, skirts and blouses so that's just fine for me.
All I hope now is that I get my use out of it and get round to using some of my fabric stash and turn it into useful garments that actually fit.
Once again, thank you all for your input much appreciated   :) :shirt: :sew: :snip:  :frock:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 16:00:22 PM »
I've just ordered the trouser kit, I'll report back once received and tested!