The Sewing Place

Help needed with pin tucking

Bugs

Help needed with pin tucking
« on: February 23, 2021, 20:54:18 PM »
  :thinking:

Hello everyone

I’m new here and could really do with help please. I am trying to sew pintucks using the twin needle and pin tuck foot. I am sewing on standard cotton fabric .

My issue is that I can’t get the right settings. I have my stitch length on 2 and tension on 4 which makes great pintucks but the thread snaps every few seconds. I lower my tension but then it’s not enough to make the pintucks.... I have put my pressure foot dial either at 3 or 2 and changed all the dials several times over but still the thread breaks.  Including the width slough im not sure it does anything for it??
All the videos I’ve seen are so easy , 123 and away.. I am a seamstress for a living and can sew anything else but can’t get this right.

Please please, if someone could help me I would be hugely thankful.

Thank you
Hayley

b15erk

Re: Help needed with pin tucking
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 21:21:07 PM »
I don't know if it will help, but when I use a twin needle, I  turn the tension down.

Btw @Bugs welcome to TSP!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 21:23:58 PM »
Have you tried different thread? Try with gutermann.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 22:08:55 PM »
Welcome @Bugs  :drink: sorry can't help with the pintucks
Willing but not always able :)

Bugs

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 07:25:31 AM »
  :thinking:

Hello everyone

I’m new here and could really do with help please. I am trying to sew pintucks using the twin needle and pin tuck foot. I am sewing on standard cotton fabric .

My issue is that I can’t get the right settings. I have my stitch length on 2 and tension on 4 which makes great pintucks but the thread snaps every few seconds. I lower my tension but then it’s not enough to make the pintucks.... I have put my pressure foot dial either at 3 or 2 and changed all the dials several times over but still the thread breaks.  Including the width slough im not sure it does anything for it??
All the videos I’ve seen are so easy , 123 and away.. I am a seamstress for a living and can sew anything else but can’t get this right.

Please please, if someone could help me I would be hugely thankful.

Thank you
Hayley
I don't know if it will help, but when I use a twin needle, I  turn the tension down.

Jessie
Thank you Jessie, I think I’ve tried it but I will give it another go

Bugs

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:31:21 AM »
Have you tried different thread? Try with gutermann.

I’ve not tried other cottons but have heard guttermann to be great thread, I’ve just ordered some, thank you

Sewbusy

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 16:56:35 PM »
@Bugs What machine do you have, they all have their own quirks so if someone else has the same machine they may be able to help.

Some time ago another member recommended this tutorial, it may be worth a try.    https://so-sew-easy.com/how-to-use-the-pintuck-foot/?utm_source=So+Sew+Easy+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3efbbcfa1a-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_181615727c-3efbbcfa1a-117940005

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 22:30:30 PM »
I’ve not tried other cottons but have heard guttermann to be great thread, I’ve just ordered some, thank you
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bugs

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 10:31:53 AM »

Jessie
Thank you Jessie, I think I’ve tried it but I will give it another go

Bugs

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
UPDATE

Thank you so much everyone , I have tried the gutermann cotton and it’s worked a dream. I am truly so grateful for all your suggestions and helping me out. It’s so lovely to find a page where there are people willing to help each other out. I hope I can help others in the same way.

One happy lady here