The Sewing Place

March (and April) plans!

Francesca

Re: March plans!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 23:48:13 PM »
For stuff for me, I do indeed wear them to bits. I'm at the stage now where I probably have enough everyday tops to last a week, but only if I wanted to wear jeans + made top every day, and I like to change the styles I wear often.

Also there are always occasions for different types of outfits! Sunday walk is gonna be a different sort of outfit from if I'm going to an important meeting. Or lunch in London with my Mum is different from date clothes!
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 41.9m
Up/down: -45.95m

Follow me on Instagram

sewingj

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 07:51:31 AM »
Fair enough.

Demented - please explain the whole Steampunk thing - bear in mind I`ve led a very quiet life!  I`m vaguely aware of what Steampunk looks like but when do you wear it? How did it start? Do you get together with other devotees? (What is the meaning of life?)

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »
The meaning of life is 42.  0_0
What goes around comes around.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »
The meaning of life is 42.  0_0

The meaning of life passed me by many years ago  :|   -<  :(

DementedFairy

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 17:50:35 PM »
I just hooked up with some local steampunks at a summer fair a couple of years back, got on like a house on fire with them and that was that.  Basically, loads of people of all ages [but averaging well into their 50s I would say], who like being gently silly, dressing up to look amazing, eating cake, drinking tea [or gin if that's your preference] and having a lovely time.  We went to the Lincoln Asylum last year [like Whitby, but all steampunks] and are going again this year.  there are meetings and big events all year round, all round the country [and the world].  It's a brilliant way to stretch your sewing skills, and your imagination
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 20:18:27 PM »
I just hooked up with some local steampunks at a summer fair a couple of years back, got on like a house on fire with them and that was that.  Basically, loads of people of all ages [but averaging well into their 50s I would say], who like being gently silly, dressing up to look amazing, eating cake, drinking tea [or gin if that's your preference] and having a lovely time.  We went to the Lincoln Asylum last year [like Whitby, but all steampunks] and are going again this year.  there are meetings and big events all year round, all round the country [and the world].  It's a brilliant way to stretch your sewing skills, and your imagination

This sounds like my kind of thing! I have a friend who does some steampunk stuff.

It's a shame we don't have the "ren faire" thing here as we'd do it much better than the Americans  ;)
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 21:10:45 PM »
We have all the historic buildings.  ;)

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 21:19:14 PM »
Look, I realise this is a ridiculous question, but what are you ladies doing with all of these clothes?!

Good question.  I have a dress, two cardigans that are exactly the same, a skinny rib jumper (all black) and a brown and black 'flock' pattern skirt.  This is my 'out of the house' winter wardrobe which is teamed with thick tights, flat shoes or my biker style, knee length boots.

Francesca

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 21:23:01 PM »
I just love clothes what can I say  0_0
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 21:45:35 PM »
Me too, but my stay at home life no longer justifies my having lots of clothes.  :(

DementedFairy

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 22:09:17 PM »
This sounds like my kind of thing! I have a friend who does some steampunk stuff.

It's a shame we don't have the "ren faire" thing here as we'd do it much better than the Americans  ;)

oooh join us it's a hoot!  PArasol duelling and tea duelling...what more could anyone want?
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Just finished one of Mum's tops ready to post off to her for her holiday. Will see how it fits her before I cut the other two out incase adjustments are needed.

Very much behind on sewing these last few weeks. I had hoped to get all of these done in March but it'll be more like the end of April!  :ninja: I've had several weekends with no time at home.

Tonight I will probably do a lot of cutting and tracing of other bits so they're ready to go. And then when Mum gets back to me about the fit of the top I can carry on with them.
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Francesca

Re: March (and April) plans!
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »
Had to rename this as I've made so little progress!

Last night was the first time I've sat down to "sew" in more than a week. I traced off most pieces for Love Notions Margot. Just got to do the front piece and the peplum variation. Going to sew up two of them, one with pleats and one with gathers.

Challenging myself to get both done by the end of the weekend. I know that when I focus I can do it (I sewed an entire Moneta in one evening because I really wanted to wear it for the following day) so I know I can do it!
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Francesca

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »
Yay I got two tops cut out!

Going to try and sew up at least one tonight  0_0

One is sleeveless because I couldn't get the sleeve on the fabric as I didn't realise it was a narrow width  :'(
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Francesca

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 22:30:55 PM »
Getting somewhere with my first attempt at the Love Notions Margot with a gathered peplum.

Need to bind armholes and neck and then move onto the next one which will use the pleated peplum instead.
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram