The Sewing Place

March (and April) plans!

Francesca

Re: March (and April) plans!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
Nearly finished this one last night. Need to do one more sleeve, hem, and neckband.

I much prefer this one to the other. I think the fabric I chose for the other isn't quite right as it's not really looking that great. I will, probably stick it in the reject pile and reconsider it later.

But I really love this pattern! I need to make it bigger on the back skirt as at the moment the box pleats are being fully forced open by my large derriere! And I could probably do with even a little more in the front too, might cut the skirt one size up for next time and have wider box pleats.

Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 35.4m
Up/down: -46.95m down

Follow me on Instagram

DementedFairy

Re: March (and April) plans!
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
Love the fabric- the fit looks good on the bodice- hard to tell about the skirt, but you seem to have it sussed!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

Re: March (and April) plans!
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:33 AM »
... I really love this pattern ... at the moment the box pleats are being fully forced open by my large derriere!

 0_0  0_0 I can identify as I have a rear as big as all outdoors.  Box pleats would be a trial for me to get right.
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

Re: March (and April) plans!
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
I probably should have used the 3XL skirt but I just traced off the 2XL for the whole thing.

My plan will be to grade up to the equiv of a 4XL and then box-pleat it in to match the waist width it needs. Deeper box pleats on both front and back. On back just cos I need them and on front to keep it balanced.

I'll get a better picture in the daylight so you can see the pleats.
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 35.4m
Up/down: -46.95m down

Follow me on Instagram

Francesca

Re: March (and April) plans!
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
Finished another from my list over Easter weekend, another top for Mum from the Simplicity 1461 pattern she gave me. The first was the pink one. I made several alterations to this one that I learnt from the first. I continued on with the extra 2 inches on the waist and extra 5 inches on the hip by adding 1cm/2.5cm to each of the 5 seams (why can't I work in just inches or centimetres?! My brain can't compute either singularly!) I also went one cup size up to the D pieces and took the shoulders in by 1cm. I added 2 inches to the bicep and collapsed the sleeve cap down to nothing as an experiement. The original pattern had 10cm of sleeve cap ease in and it just gave a horrible old-fashioned puff. Removing the ease down to 2cm has results in a flat and ugly sort of sleeve, so it's definitely not "right" but it was an experiment and just makes them more capped. At least now I know what sort of sleeve cap ease I'll want on the final one (which is coming out of the nicest fabric).

This picture was before I raised the hem up, which now falls about an inch below the lowest "moon".

This picture is on me rather than Mum but we're almost the same except I am more hourglass so it's baggier on my waist.



For reference, this is the previous one on Mum which is the C-cup and with no adjustments to shoulder width or sleeves:

Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 35.4m
Up/down: -46.95m down

Follow me on Instagram

Francesca

Re: March (and April) plans!
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
Next up... I'm going to sew myself a Whistler Sweater (like a pocket hoodie but with no hood) from Love Notions out of some crazy "telephone" jersey. I really want something just to put on in the evenings and weekends.



I'll be making the middle version out of this:



See I told you I was crazy!

After that... I will be skipping over my stack and making a dress or two for my friend! She has gained a bit of weight recently and gone up to about a size 16/18. She went to a wedding on Thursday and apparently her Mum told her she looked like an overstuffed sausage in her dress! A bit rude but she conceded it was true but that she doesn't have any clothes that fit her at the moment  :( So I let her rifle through my stash and she has pulled out three fabrics she likes, Cadbury purple sateen, a green and white chevron print (that was going to be a 60s formal dress for me but we are now going on holiday instead of Goodwood so no need for it) and a bright floral ponte roma. All a bit too bright for me but perfect for her as she doesn't wear black or dark. I'm going to start with the chevron print and make her a Cashmerette Upton, then probably a Cashmerette Turner from the ponte. The purple sateen is only 2m so I was thinking I could squeeze a princess seamed cap sleeve dress out of it. If not a box pleat skirt.
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 35.4m
Up/down: -46.95m down

Follow me on Instagram