The Sewing Place

30 minutes in Immanuels

Kad

Re: 30 minutes in Immanuels
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 21:36:02 PM »

There was also some kind of mill retail place nearby that stocked Dr Martin seconds as well as tons of other shoes and boots at great prices. That was great to visit too. Docs were quite fashionable at the time and I remember us buying a few pairs from there because the prices were so good.
[/quote]

I think that you may mean 'Winfields' in Haslingden. It did start by selling shoes/boots but is now more of an 'Outdoor ' shop - walking boots/ wet weather clothing etc. BUT still sells shoes and has a website too  ;)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Mocarroll

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 21:39:09 PM »
Hi Vegegrow, I too bought the wool knit - lovely to work with, a bit like the poodle wool I used to knit with a lifetime ago (anyone remember?). Here is a picture of the cardinal I made with it.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 23:16:31 PM »
I think that you may mean 'Winfields' in Haslingden. It did start by selling shoes/boots but is now more of an 'Outdoor ' shop - walking boots/ wet weather clothing etc. BUT still sells shoes and has a website too  ;)

Yes that sounds about right. I daresay now the Dr Martins production has been (-very regretfully imo) shipped out to East Asia then there are no seconds in this country any more to flog off cheap.

I used to wear Docs a lot years ago as I have broad feet with a high instep and a wide heel and they were one of the few shoe brands that I could cram my feet into that would eventually stretch enough for me to be comfortable in. They must have changed the last proportions with the production move as these days they won't go anywhere near me. I feel like one of the original ugly sisters in Cinderella where my feet are concerned, I have a dreadful time finding shoes that even come close to fitting these days. Apart from flip flops and wellies, lol.
  :(

(...... rant over  ;))

Morgan

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 23:28:35 PM »
. . . fabric for curtains and we have decided it would be a great excuse for us both to have a day out up Burnley
Also, if you are travelling any distance -
Morning - go to Immanuels, Bright St, Burnley
Lunch - at the Cafe at Fine Fabrics, Oakmount Mill, Wiseman St. Burnley, it's on the way back to the motorway
After lunch, take a look around Fine Fabrics - upstairs for dressmaking & habby then downstairs for admiring curtain fabric.  (dressmaking fabric is not as cheap as Immanuels but not as dear as Minerva)
And,
if you're still not all fabriced out, nip along the M65 to the next junction and pop in at Minerva's, Atlas Rd, Darwen
Most of Minerva's stock is in the warehouse.  If you look on line and see something you like the look of, then write down the number and when you're in the store ask to see it and they bring it out to you.

Enjoy the day when you go.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 23:31:19 PM »
Also, if you are travelling any distance -
Morning - go to Immanuels, Bright St, Burnley
Lunch - at the Cafe at Fine Fabrics, Oakmount Mill, Wiseman St. Burnley, it's on the way back to the motorway
After lunch, take a look around Fine Fabrics - upstairs for dressmaking & habby then downstairs for admiring curtain fabric.  (dressmaking fabric is not as cheap as Immanuels but not as dear as Minerva)
And,
if you're still not all fabriced out, nip along the M65 to the next junction and pop in at Minerva's, Atlas Rd, Darwen
Most of Minerva's stock is in the warehouse.  If you look on line and see something you like the look of, then write down the number and when you're in the store ask to see it and they bring it out to you.

Enjoy the day when you go.

Thanks so much Morgan, that is fabulous information!   :flower: :flower: :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 23:39:23 PM »
Ahem Doc Martens are still fashionable says she sporting a pair of flowery DM Mary Janes.  :D I find the fit is generally ok on me but I have very wide feet.

S&B is just off the M6 at J34 so is much faster than you'd think to get to from..... oh almost anywhere.  :devil: :devil:

If you are thinking of Minerva check to see if the physical shop is still open. I thought they were just online now. ???

Also how far is Burnley from Dewsbury (Fabworks - great shop IMHO)?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Madame Cholet

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 23:48:15 PM »
Ahem Doc Martens are still fashionable says she sporting a pair of flowery DM Mary Janes.  :D

Perhaps I'm just bitter  :'(
I'd still wear them now fashionable or not but I can't get my silly feet into them. I must be a hobbit from the calf down, (but thankfully without all the foot hair).
It's my heels I have most problem with, the back of the heel section of Mary Jane styles dig in. I have achilles tendinopathy from stubbornly expecting some wide fit Clarks sandals to stretch around my achilles area. They didn't, and I've been hobbling around because of my bloody mindedness for the better part of two years now as a result. I found out the hard way that Achilles tendons take a loooong time to heal.
I just have funny feet. Sob.

AA routeplanner says the distance is 31 miles or an hour and 17 minutes.

Fear not, my enabling friends, wherever we visit, I shall take my camera  :devil:

(Edit - I meant the boot styles were fashionable then, which is what we bought; my daughter wouldn't so much as look at them now, but I'd love some  <3)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 00:05:27 AM by Madame Cholet »

Tamnymore

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 07:38:38 AM »
Madame C. I feel your pain. I suffered from very similar achilles tendon problems. My tendonitis was caused by over enthusiastic Scottish country dancing. I did get medical advice, stopped dancing for a while  ( :(  ) and now only dance in proper shoes (pumps with thin soles were a disaster) and my achilles tendons recovered within 6 months. It felt slow at the time but it did get better.

You are quite right any shoes which rubbed the heels were very painful and were a no-no. Two years is a long time to put up with this.  I'd be hopeful that your tendons will heal and you can get back to your DMs.  :D

Madame Cholet

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 08:00:10 AM »
My tendonitis was caused by over enthusiastic Scottish country dancing.

Oh dear!
I've seen a couple of podiatrists over this, and have been doing the exercises as prescribed, although at one point I was doing the tendon stretching somewhat over-enthusiastically and managed to give myself a stress fracture in one of the foot bones. *
 :|.
And the orthotics I was originally prescribed left not quite enough room in my shoes for my feet, so my blister count went through the roof. But by then I had learned the stern lesson that Foot Pain Must Not Be Ignored, and have since worn more appropriate orthotics. 
I was used to walking several miles a day with the dogs and for a while I just carried on as best I could, with shorter and shorter distances, even though the pain was intense, and I would have to take umpteen stops every walk, and then tiptoe home slowly, because the pain was so bad. I just carried on regardless, because I am stupid like that, until a dear friend said 'Enough!' and dragged me to see a podiatrist for an assessment.
The fact it's dragged on so long is probably my own fault. I have no comprehension of the words 'rest, and take things easy'. Looking back because my ridiculous feet are on the far end of some distribution curve, I just got used to putting up with the pain caused by breaking in 'new shoes'.
Yes I've learned my lesson now!  :fish: :fish: :fish:

I'm so glad you are now back to dancing, and that your tendons are well again  :)

*aggravated by tripping over a headphones cable because I was not looking where I was going, whilst running in flip flops.  :fish:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:26:45 AM by Madame Cholet »

Tamnymore

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »
Well you've done all the right things. I completely agree that foot pain must not be ignored. I too carried on and it made things worse. I had orthotics made on the NHS but they were far too big and clunky to wear in any shoes I had so I got some orthotics from Salford Uni podiatry clinics which were much more wearable. I must admit I don't religiously wear them all the time now several years down the line ( but I do wear them in my dancing shoes).

We are made to be active so we certainly don't want to put our feet up so I think you have entirely the right attitude. In terms of good shoes I've learned a new respect for Hotters - detachable insoles and good soles. Also have you tried Alegria shoes  (Cheerful Soles is one of the only UK suppliers)? They are a chunky style and therefore not everyone's cup of tea, and they are rather expensive, but they are supremely comfortable and have great detachable insoles.... and funky styles
I hope you make a good recovery from this, Madame C. Your posive attitude will surely help. Let's hope our Achilles tendons won't be our Achilles heels and that they will instead be Achilles heals!   :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »
Hi Vegegrow, I too bought the wool knit - lovely to work with, a bit like the poodle wool I used to knit with a lifetime ago (anyone remember?). Here is a picture of the cardinal I made with it.

Do you know I thought it looked familiar... I remember seeing your picture  :loveit: my plans are for a top..
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

toileandtrouble

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 14:11:31 PM »
Well you've done all the right things. I completely agree that foot pain must not be ignored. I too carried on and it made things worse. I had orthotics made on the NHS but they were far too big and clunky to wear in any shoes I had
Ditto ditto. I tried the NHS ones but they were too much for the expensive shoes, which were the only ones to fit me.  The shoes started to split at the stitching so I gave up too. I didn't realise you could get neater ones.  Must ask around about that, because my feet sometimes refuse to go on.  Some days I can walk for miles and some days -not. (Not good for the knees and hips  either.)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Tamnymore

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 15:13:30 PM »
These are the Salford insoles.
  www.salfordinsole.co.uk

LeilaMay

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 15:41:02 PM »
Joining in the foot conversation - I have had to wear NHS customised orthotics for some years. I can no longer wear high street shoes, because the orthotics plus my feet don't fit in them - but the answer is different shoes, not discarding the orthotics, It was very tough to have to part with all my existing shoes - very hard, but it had to be done.
I was directed to Hotters, DB wider fitshoes, and Padders.

Take care of your feet!

Tamnymore

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 15:51:25 PM »
@LeilaMay I think you probably got something more sophisticated than the ones I had - mine  were very crudely made and wouldn't fit anything - not even Hotters and the like. The Salford Uni podiatrists were a bit horrified when they saw what I had been given and fitted me with something that worked much better! But I agree that one must get the right thing for one's condition and I believe that it is possible to get good custom made orthotics - even if such things are expensive they would definitely be worth it.