The Sewing Place

30 minutes in Immanuels

Madame Cholet

Re: 30 minutes in Immanuels
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 22:19:49 PM »
My friend and I went on a mad dash to Burnley this afternoon!  0_0 :fabric:
Work and other commitments meant that we would have had either to make a mad dash this afternoon, or visit in a fortnight's time, which was just too long to wait, so we decided on just a brief visit today.

Immanuels was all we expected, a bit like Abakhan's on steroids, raised to a higher power, and then with a bit more added on.
I have never seen so much fabric stashed in one building. There are rolls stacked up to the ceiling, the amount of stock they have is just unbelievable.
I have taken some pics but not as many as I would have liked as you would need a wide angle lens to do the place justice, plus there were lots of customers present who of course I would not want to photograph (...as that kind of thing is just plain rude and I get sniffy about it when people do it to me...), so the pics I have are limited. I'll post them when I have more time and am properly awake.

There are so many fabric rolls stacked up against the walls in there that when I was in the £2 a metre upholstery room, a load of rolls tumbled over and blocked my way out, and staff had to come and rescue me. I was not concerned as I had just discovered the curtain fabric with the huge bold flowers which I decided would be great for some new bedroom curtains for me  :snip: :loveit:

The fabric below that is my friend's curtain fabric, from Prestigious Textiles, which was £2.99 per metre from Oakmount Mill. Oakmount Mill is amazing too, with oodles and oodles of craft cottons, a fantastic range of stock, with 'bargain corners' dotted around. We went there for some lunch in the attached cafe and the food was excellent and the loos were spotless  :)
I would definitely recommend the cafe. And the loos.

So we had a good look round Oakmount Mill first, then had our late lunch in the cafe, and after that we went to Immanuels where I found my curtain fabric.

So we came home with quite a small haul, but a fabulous one. I'm really looking forward to going back in the near future.
I'd like to get some ideas sorted out and then go and buy what I know I need. Otherwise the prices are so cheap and the quality and range so wonderful that I fear that impulse buying could spiral totally out of control and I could end up drowning in masses of fabric that I don't know what to do with.

Immanuels don't take cards but there is a cashpoint outside a shop on the corner of the main road and where you turn into Bright Street; Immanuels is located at 1 Bright Street, Burnley, BB10 1RR, and the cashpoint is only yards away.

Tamnymore

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 22:48:34 PM »
OMG Mme C you could have been trapped in the £2 pm room all weekend. Quite a nice fate really.  :D

Abakhan's on steroids!!! Lol.

Thanks for the detailed description and glad your trip was useful.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 08:33:39 AM »
@Madame Cholet: love the top floral fabric.  I always meant to go to Immanuels, but really it's too far from London.

Tamnymore

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 09:25:03 AM »
@UttaRetch 2 hours from Euston to Preston then 55 minutes from Preston to Burnley. Sounds ideal for a little fabric holiday.  :devil: :devil: :devil:

Actually the London to Preston bit is really fast. It's the Preston to Burnley bit, no doubt on an old chuggy, Northern Rail train, that slows it down!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:27:25 AM by Tamnymore »

Ellabella

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 11:05:03 AM »
Tammy don't forget Utta would have factor in the cost of a taxi or at least a small pack horse to get her purchases home. :devil:

I'm not allowing myself to go over the hills until I have done some serious stash reduction.

Glad to hear the £2 a metre room is an addition to the £1 a metre room, at first I thought prices had gone through the roof.

Pinkstar

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Oooo Veggie, the striped fabric in pic 3 is the curtain material I have in DSs room  0_0

Morgan

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »
I'm really looking forward to going back in the near future.
I'd like to get some ideas sorted out and then go and buy what I know I need. Otherwise the prices are so cheap and the quality and range so wonderful that I fear that impulse buying could spiral totally out of control and I could end up drowning in masses of fabric that I don't know what to do with.
Oh yes you get it.
At both Immanuels and Fine Fabrics, it's very easy to get really giddy and once you're home with a couple of bin bags full of fabric you start wondering what to make with it and of course have to find storage for it . . .

Once you have an idea of what's there, it reallyhelps to know which projects you're shopping for before you go.  Also, there will be impulse buys so it does help to try to decide what the impulse buy will become before you actually have to pay for it.

. . . you know why I know this don't you. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2018, 13:51:54 PM »
@Tamnymore: I actually got as far as researching the journey, but was put off by the last stage when I walked the route on StreetView.  Sadly, a visit to the 'church of fabric' is highly unlikely.

Tamnymore

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2018, 14:18:31 PM »
Yes it's not really within walking distance of Burnley centre; it requires a bus ride. I've done the journey once by train and bus and it is a bit of a hike. If you remember Esseesee on the old sewing forum, she used to go on the Witch Way bus which starts in the centre of Manchester (it's Pendle witch country). Still a bit of a trek but at least you get to travel on a bus with a giant witch painted on its side!  :D

Madame Cholet

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2018, 15:15:34 PM »
Here are the photos from Immanuels. I managed to snap pics of only a fraction of the stuff they carry, but it should give you all some idea of the nature of the place. They carry full price fabrics as well as jaw droppingly cheap stuff. It is like a rabbit warren in there, there is so much stock you have to pick your way very carefully around what are essentially little passageways inbetween the stock tubs and shelving.

Below is fleece; I can't remember the price, I suspect it was £5 pm. Next time I go I'll take a notepad and pen...

The next 6 pics are of the £2 pm tubs of polycottons; I snapped umpteen pics in this aisle as it was people-free at the time.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2018, 15:18:00 PM »
The polycottons £2 pm:

Acorn

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2018, 15:22:13 PM »
 :loveit: :o

Not a place for the indecisive, I think!  I asked Mr Acorn if he fancied a holiday in Burnley... he said he wouldn't mind one that went close enough to Burnley to be able to visit...  :ninja:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 15:22:49 PM »
The £2 pm room:

Big poppies:

Fab flowers.
@UttaRetch I did think of you when I found this roll!

Cottons incl. Rose and Hubble; I think the prices I saw on the tub label was £5 pm.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2018, 15:25:24 PM »
These plaids were I think £15 pm but I didn't write it down so I could be wrong:

There is lots of stuff I didn't photograph and wish I had, like their vast collection of vinyl and leatherette at £5 pm which occupies a narrow kind of 'porch' type zone that stretches the width of the building in between the front door and the door to the rest of the shop. I was really excited to see so much vinyl at such a great price... I used to do a lot of vinyl sewing making bike seat covers and I was almost disappointed that I don't actually need any vinyl right now.
I'll try and take more pics next time I visit.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2018, 15:33:50 PM »
Now on to Fine Fabrics at Oakmount Mill, where it is airy, bright, organised, and not even a little bit claustrophobic.
They have a great range of wonderful fabrics and also a good range of notions.
Plus they have that splendid cafe.
Again I'll take more pics next time I visit, but for now, here is a selection of their craft cottons to drool over:

I was impressed by the wooden rules on the wall of their cafe. I am ashamed to say that I coveted the longest one and wished I could take it home: