The Sewing Place

Downside of not having a stash

Lowena

Downside of not having a stash
« on: January 04, 2018, 17:27:21 PM »
I am about to embark on Fancy Forest ( done one test foxy block  :) ). Checked the fabric requirements on the pattern....comes to £300!!  :o
5yds background, 40 fat quarters, 1yd dark, 1 yd white, 5.5yds backing and 3/4 yd binding.....
Now, famously, I don't have a stash so it will be all outlay... fortunately it will be some time before I need wadding, backing and binding.
Looks like I'll be trawling the sales sites sometime soon  :D :ninja:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 18:20:38 PM by Iminei »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Snowgoose

Re: Downside of not having a stash
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 17:33:47 PM »
I am about to embark on Fancy Forest ( done one test foxy block  :) ). Checked the fabric requirements on the pattern....comes to £300!!  :o

HOW MUCH!!!! :o :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 17:55:26 PM »
40 fat quarters aghhhhhh.. what colours do you want Low I'm going through the stash at the moment and I can post pics of any candidates  ..
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 18:01:58 PM »
That's a great idea, Vege.  I'm sure many of us could spare a fq or two (or a drawer full).

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 18:19:56 PM »
Lets all donate one FQ to Low, she'll soon have enough to make the forest and more!

Let us know the colours you need Low and we'll choose and send you one!!

Oh .. and Low ..... pics of your foxy block please!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 18:21:19 PM »
No,no,no i couldn't possibly do that  <3 I'm on the case and will keep you posted. Thanks for your support {{ group hug }}

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 18:24:38 PM »
Yes Yes Yes we insist!!!!

Seriously we have more than enough to go around (well I do at least!)

What say you Girls???

And Low, if you don't cooperate, I have the pattern too ... so know which colours you need!!!!  :devil:

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 18:31:26 PM »
Really, Low.  You'd be doing us a favour.

Suziequeue

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 18:59:14 PM »
I'm deffo up for this. I love the idea of the community rallying round.....

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 19:01:29 PM »
I’m sure I’ll have something... :snip:

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 19:13:05 PM »
No thank you...... you are all very kind, but if you don't desist I shall become incommunicado and may even leave......and I mean it!!
I really am sorting something  <3 {{ group hug }} been online with my flexible friend  and things are working out well... I truly am not short of money.....watch this space..........................you might even see some  :devil:'s hue as it is a forest  :D
Anyhoo I'd rather see some full sized quilts from you all, making the most of your stashes  :P Show and tell by Easter  ;)
P.S. we could do a FQ swapathon somewhere down the line  :loveit:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 19:30:09 PM by Lowena »

Vegegrow

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 20:03:23 PM »
Oh Low I wasn't worrying about your finances I was trying to get rid of some fabric to a good home :ninja:.. so perhaps the Darkside needs a thread for 'I don't need but perhaps you could use FQ's ....people who would like the FQ could just pay P&P
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

supergran

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 20:14:32 PM »
40 Fat quarters??? Crikey Lowena, how big is this quilt?
I once saw a swap challenge where members brought their ugliest fat quarters to the group and swapped them with other uglies, and they all had to incorporate them into a quilt. Most of them didn't look half bad once they were hidden among other nicer fabrics.
Anyone else got any "what was I thinking" fabrics?

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 22:57:57 PM »
It wasn't at all about your financial situation Low,
more that most of us have a FQ or five we could easily donate and wouldn't it be fun ????
Not charity at all.... would you reconsider????

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 00:16:45 AM »
40 Fat quarters??? Crikey Lowena, how big is this quilt?

What it means is that you need little bits of 40 different fabrics, not that you need 40 full FQs!  Once you've cut into all of them you would have a stash, unless of course you throw away anything smaller than a FQ when you are finished!  :fish: :fish: :fish:

I reckon that most quilts with reasonably small pieces need roughly twice the area of fabric to make the finished quilt top, (plus backing and binding). 

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.