The Sewing Place

Sob!

Catllar

Sob!
« on: March 10, 2017, 14:31:05 PM »
I made the skirt for carnaval  a few years ago - a one off wear, so when carnaval was over I chopped off the tail to make it into a wearable ( if a bit garish) practice skirt.  Took many hours and contains over 15 metres of fabric as it is lined and has 6 layers of frills underneath the skirt tail.  Learned yesterday that we have a workshop planned this summer with a teacher coming from Spain for working with these skirts. Gotta make another one :[ :[ Sob.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

Re: Sob!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 14:36:13 PM »
Don't you love it when that happens?

Poor Cat, never mind, we'll be here to cheer you on!! :)

Jessie

Btw, it was a very beautiful frock.
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 16:11:25 PM »
Ain't that annoying!  Fab dress BTW. Looks like the overlocker was well used.   ;)

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 16:23:18 PM »
Wow. That's a seriously luvverly outfit!  :*
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Maximum

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 16:29:32 PM »
Oh dear - that's the problem when you tidy up, throw things away or even upcycle. Nearly all my attempts at a declutter have resulted in me needing what I have just binned or given away. The answer is more boxes and another spare bedroom :)
You do at least have photos of your spectacular masterpiece and another one will be much easier and quicker!

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 17:25:04 PM »
That's not just a lot of fabric, it's a huge number of seams on those frills (unless it's the fabric pattern?). You are the frill-maestro, of course.  ;)

I can use up plenty of fabric in a big ballroom dress but skirts are usually lightweight stuff and often look more than it is with the use of crin whenever possible. I just wonder how heavy these flamenco dresses must be in comparison? The style of the dance suits this of course as the dynamism is very much power into the floor rather than across it and they must flare out with real force in a fast spin turn.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 20:38:09 PM »
5kgs for the skirt. No M, each piece is a joined  piece - stash busting serious stash busting. I think I'll do the same with the next iteration. I've still got a A LOT of patchwork fabric, but I might make it a tad less garish!

Never  thought to weigh the dresses I make! We do use lighter fabric now - crepe koshibo is very light for skirt part , and the bodies of the dresses are  anything from  stretch poplin  to lace. They are all fully lined too. Probably about 3kgs?.  I had to remake some traditional Sevillane dresses last year - pure cotton,  gathered  frills starting at just below the waist, enormous bunches of frill at the sleeves, all frills lace trimmed and all lined with frilled petticoats, pockets plus all the extra fabric built in to alter the dresses - It must have weighed more than 6 kgs and it was for a 10yr old to wear. Poor little mites really struggled!

Max it's not a problem making the thing I've made several  in the past for customers, it's just an engineering problem really - the construction order is where it can go horrible wrong, as there are frills on both sides of the tail and you have to avoid getting them caught up .
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 20:51:00 PM by Catllar »

Lollipop

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 16:14:36 PM »
Gosh Catlar, just wearing one of your amazing creations is a workout in itself! You are so clever - and very patient!
Was Sewnanny

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 23:05:20 PM »
Thank you Lollipop!

Teresa

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
It's amazing!!  :D