The Sewing Place

Ironing Board recommendations

SingingSinger

Ironing Board recommendations
« on: January 06, 2018, 15:47:47 PM »
The time has come to replace my ironing board. What should I be looking for in an ironing board which will be used for everyday ironing of clothes (not literally 'everyday' in my house!) and pressing/dressmaking? Any recommendation? Thank you :)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Ironing Board recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 16:34:34 PM »
No idea what's available these days, but Beldray used to be one of the best for quality/cost.  I have to say I have no idea if they still are, mine is years old!

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 17:03:15 PM »
Watching this.... I could do with a new one, mine is 40 years old,it has 14 covers on it!

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 17:23:13 PM »
I have a Homebase own brand ironing board, with a mesh base to cope with the steam generator. My previous one disintegrated due to the moisture from the extra steam.

It is a good, large size and has a foldaway sleeve board. I've had it around 10 years, but I don't know if Homebase still do them. It was considerably cheaper than the branded ones at the time, around £30 from memory.

In the sewing room I have a small Ikea tabletop board which cost under £5. Lidl have some in soon at £4.99.

SingingSinger

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 19:30:15 PM »
Watching this.... I could do with a new one, mine is 40 years old,it has 14 covers on it!

Wow, mine's relatively new at about 30 years! I'm looking for one that is easy to put up/down and is pretty stable. Mine annoys me every time I use it  :\

Bodgit - Beldray is a brand I've not heard of for years. I'll check out if they are still around. :)

Skoutsews - A mesh base seems a sensible thing to look for. I've got the IKEA tabletop board too, very useful.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 20:27:53 PM »
My ironing board is a Beldray with the large top, it's really good.  I have a tabletop ironing board from Argos which is bl**dy useless if you pardon the expletive.  I only got it because I thought it would be useful for seams etc and would save me having to get the big one out every time I had a little bit of pressing to do but it collapses every time you put the slightest bit of pressure on it

So Chic

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 15:33:02 PM »
I have had a Brabantia for some years which was quite expensive but is quite sturdy and has lasted far longer than a cheapie I bought which collapsed after a couple of years.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
DH is currently mending my ironing board  :D it has been collapsing down a level when you push down on it.. several screws on the ratchety thingy were missing or loose so it was not holding in place... I posted about a replacement ironing board in the old place because the chipboard is disintegrating ... ( this ironing board a brabantia is 34 years old)  but never got round to doing anything about it.. DH has decided to turn over the chipboard and coat the old top side with a glue of some kind to stop the shower of wood chip there are several screw holes in the new top surface but I hope a couple of layers of curtain interlining will cover them.. otherwise I will be on the hunt for a new board as well
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »
I can't remember where I got my ironing board - about 10 years ago I reckon - but I bought the biggest, tallest one I could find.  It takes 130 x 51 cm covers, and they only just fit if I use clips.

Even though I'm only average height, having a higher one pretty much completely eradicated ironing backache, and being bigger it has a much better space for laying out bits of patchwork etc.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 17:45:35 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 17:05:37 PM »
I've got a Brabantia too, probably around 8 years old, with a mesh base. It's a little wider than some which is great for everyday ironing but goes to a narrow tip, which is my preference. I seem to recall it came with a sleeve board (so I have two now) and I use that a lot.

I did buy a tabletop board for my daughter when she went to uni but it was awful. Could be useful for p&q but I suspect an ironing blanket is more practical for them.

I think I bought my board online but, if I were looking now I think I'd be tempted to go to John Lewis so I could see them in the flesh. If you've got £1249 to spare, there's always this one of course. https://www.johnlewis.com/miele-b3312-fashionmaster-ironing-system/p3280178 
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 18:58:25 PM »
Bloomin heck, that's pricey!

For that price I'd want it to wash the clothes and put them away afterwards.

Isn't funny that I hate ironing but find pressing immensely satisfying.

Hachi

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 19:59:27 PM »
I made my own ironing board to suit my needs  :P
I read that wool batting is good for the ironing board because of the moisture wicking property. Many people use old wool blanket for batting but I could not find cheap or old wool blanket so just bought a bag of wool quilt batting.
If you are interested, I wrote a quick blog post about making the ironing board a couple of years ago here.
I liked the size of my ironing board so much that I actually shipped it to UK all the way from US  :D

Madame Cholet

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 22:05:50 PM »
I made my own ironing board to suit my needs  :P
I read that wool batting is good for the ironing board because of the moisture wicking property. Many people use old wool blanket for batting but I could not find cheap or old wool blanket so just bought a bag of wool quilt batting.
If you are interested, I wrote a quick blog post about making the ironing board a couple of years ago here.
I liked the size of my ironing board so much that I actually shipped it to UK all the way from US  :D

@Hachi - thank you for posting that link to your blog. I have enjoyed reading your write-ups, and the Blue Calla Clematis Wristlets that you made are beautiful! :loveit:
And gosh - that is one well-travelled ironing board!

(Edit to add - Thanks Hachi for directing your readers to the Blue Calla website. There are some lovely free downloadable bag designs there. So I have posted a link to them in the 'I saw this and thought you may be interested' threads).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 22:37:20 PM by Madame Cholet »

Hachi

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 08:13:53 AM »
@Hachi - thank you for posting that link to your blog. I have enjoyed reading your write-ups, and the Blue Calla Clematis Wristlets that you made are beautiful! :loveit:
And gosh - that is one well-travelled ironing board!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 20:58:06 PM »
These ones:

https://www.brabantia.com/uk/laundry-ironing/ironing/ironing-board/filter-iron-size/d--135-x-45-cm/

Sturdy, variable height, big enough to press trousers.  I stand at it for general ironing but sit at it for fiddly sewing prep.  DH likes it too (I have never ironed his shirts for him!).