The Sewing Place

I like to look

Marniesews

I like to look
« on: March 10, 2017, 16:55:31 PM »
 I'm not a p&q-er but I do like to look and I've just tumbled onto a really interesting multi-discipline US website that took me via their stitch section to part 5! of her visit to last year's Houston Quilt Festival. http://balzerdesigns.typepad.com/balzer_designs/2016/11/quilt-festival-part-five.html

A really wide range of style and subject here with some that really grabbed me. One made me puzzle over the technique used and that's what's prompted this post. Unfortunately I don't seem able to save a single image - the long strip is saved all together somehow but if you have the time and curiosity to scroll down (really liked the big square spiral and several others), the one that's left me head scratching is the Cynara quilt (huge artichoke on a checker board) - I'd love to know how it's done.  -<

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Madame Cholet

Re: I like to look
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 17:16:45 PM »
one word - Wow!
Thanks for sharing  8)
(... erm, sorry, can't help with your question though...  -<)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 17:25:53 PM by Madame Cholet »

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 18:04:30 PM »
My guess would be appliqued Artichoke with tons of embroidery.... But what do I know?!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 18:19:00 PM »
I googled the name cynara quilt and followed the link to here http://suebianchi.com/gallery-3/ the is the post about it http://suebianchi.com/2016/07/24/inspiration-realized/
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 18:41:37 PM »
Thank you for finding those links, Vegegrow. The close up does look as though the image is created with paint/dyes, don't you think?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 18:53:11 PM »
I'm really not sure... I looked at the work of the lady who inspired her.. and that was difficult to define as well. Lovely as they are to me they are pieces of art not quilts.. they are made to be wall hangings
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 23:14:48 PM »
It's very good that artichoke.  It looks like the checkerboard patchwork is painted over.  You can see the dark/light squares under the paint/dye.  :D
Willing but not always able :)

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Not really my  :drink: but interesting none the less  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »
Some stunning quilts, thanks for the link. I thought at first that it was appliqued and embroidered but I think that it has been painted. The piece about it says machine pieced and machine quilted - not a lot of indepth info.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 23:41:24 PM »
I must agree with several of you that the artichoke appeals more for the skill level than the aesthetics although I might have thought otherwise with a different background colour combination. It's a very personal choice, of course.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »
I like it, but wouldn't have the inclination to try to make one like it - I envy her the time she must have- it 's a real piece of art and wouldn't you be p....d off if at the last stage it all went Pete Tong!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !