The Sewing Place

Female Pirelli - Sweeney Todd

Twan

Female Pirelli - Sweeney Todd
« on: January 07, 2018, 17:54:30 PM »
It's been a while since I've been online. Busy times!!
Besides working on mainly pantomime costumes for Guildford and Newbury over summer I have worked on this dress for a friend.

For the City Academy Studio Company version of the Stephen Sondheim musical Sweeney Todd I made a bustle dress for the character of Pirelli (originally a male character).
Before the Costume Designer came on board, I had already promised I would make this costume. The director wanted something over the top and I had found the ridiculous orange and red fabric which worked wonderful. Most of the costume is made from recycled fabrics. There is a plastic boned bustle cage and a frilled petticoat underneath. The bodice is fully boned. Due to budget restrains, the actress is wearing an non period corset, however I tried to make the costume look as period accurate as I could in shape, not in fabric choices.

I am very happy with how it looks in the end. The wrinkles in the central panel of the bodice don't look so bad in real life haha.

Roger

Re: Female Pirelli - Sweeney Todd
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 18:26:14 PM »
Wow! That looks amazing! Nice one!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 18:29:41 PM »
Crikey, that's great, super colours.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 18:37:03 PM »
That's fantastic, I love the colours and all the draping.

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 19:11:46 PM »
You are very talented Twan. Are you still doing your course? I loved seeing your creations on the sewing forum and look forward to seeing more on here.  :D
Was Sewnanny

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 19:17:04 PM »
WOW

Demented Fairy needs to see this one!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 19:35:58 PM »
WOW
Respect.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 19:37:56 PM »
Good to see you Twan.. and lovely to see your amazing dresses.. any pics of the pantomime costumes.. I presume you were working to other peoples designs or can you design yet  :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Twan

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 19:52:09 PM »
Thank you all so much!!!  :D

I didn't read anywhere I can't post links to instagram :) Still at uni for another 1.5 years but it's been great so far!

https://www.instagram.com/twanlentjescreations/ is my account with my uni updates and a lot of WIP pics :)

https://www.instagram.com/attlecostumiers/ is the work account, however for Beauty and the Beast all ballgowns are not public yet. I made most of Belle's golden gown and most of the 4 ensemble ballgown. The designs are all done by Jamie Attle.

Vegegrow

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 20:02:20 PM »
Love the Pics Twan... its so great you are doing something you love.. it doesn't seem like so long ago you got onto your course  :D..
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 20:12:32 PM »
Wonderful work and I love the colours.

Sandra.
xxx

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 20:36:35 PM »
Great work and lovely to see you back again!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Nevis5

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 15:33:17 PM »
That's amazing! 

maliw

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 16:19:35 PM »
Great to see you here again and pleased the course is going well. Your work is amazing.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 17:11:46 PM »
Wonderful work. Thank you for sharing.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.