The Sewing Place

Uh oh you may have won me over...

Kenora

Re: Uh oh you may have won me over...
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2018, 22:57:02 PM »
I don't know if this will help at all, Fran, but when I do SITD I use the Bernina blind hem foot which has a sliver of metal running from front to back down the middle of it. I know you have a Janome sewing machine, but Janome also do a blind hem foot which has the metal. It's not quite such a big piece of metal as on the Bernina foot but it might do the trick. I certainly find it keeps my stitches very firmly in the ditch.  :) (This foot came as a standard accessory with both my Bernina and my Janome, so you might even have it already.)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
Just a thought Fran ... How did you press the seams of the piecing ??? to the side right ???

If you pressed the seams open ... you cant SID as you will be stitching through stitches, effectively breaking them (I think?)

If you dont want to see the quilting, as you mentioned the pattern is already busy. use a neutral thread as close to the overall background colour ... you will hardly notice it at all.

If you have any blocks over, how about slapping it together with a a bit of wadding and some backing and practice on that?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2018, 19:51:05 PM »
Kenora I use that foot on my Bernina as well but still manage to go off course. You are clearly a lot more careful than me.  :D

Kenora

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2018, 21:03:35 PM »
Kenora I use that foot on my Bernina as well but still manage to go off course. You are clearly a lot more careful than me.  :D

I'm as slow as a snail though.  ;)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

supergran

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2018, 21:27:33 PM »
I think you have to be to do a good sitd. Patience isn't one of my virtues, sadly. :(

Francesca

« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2018, 17:09:02 PM »
Finally finished quilting it! I didn't go around every shape, but enough that I've not got much space between each one. It's already a little crinkled which I quite like, very rustic  ;)

Now I just have to tidy up the dining room enough that I can cut those binding strips out!

Iminei

« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2018, 17:20:56 PM »
Pics!!!!! >:)

Francesca

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2018, 13:27:49 PM »
You'll have to wait until it's over the finish line now to see :)

Francesca

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2018, 11:46:47 AM »
So close to the finish line now. I've just ordered some nice embroidery floss as I plan to hand blanket stitch the back of the binding down (I love hand sewing so any excuse!) But I've pinned it in place.

The binding was tough. I followed Imi's crib quilt instructions but seem to have come up a little short... despite cutting the binding and using the 1/4" foot it seemed like once turned over the binding wasn't as wide as I had imagined. It's OK, but not sure what happened. The only problem is due to it being a little narrower I cannot get the corners to mitre nicely. I can sort of fold them up but there isn't enough fabric to work with so the other side looks very ugly and rounded off. Any
ideas? I was hoping that a little bit of thread when handstitching might help me coax the corners to fold as I can use the pull of the thread on the needle to old the first fold in place while I fuss with the other fold (at present I can't seem to pin it down with just my bare hands, too fiddly).

Anyway very much on the home straight now. This quilt somehow looks so much tinier than when I started.

Looking forward to getting back to a bit of dressmaking I must admit, hough I've already decided I want to sew a larger quilt for SMIL for Christmas so I'll likely try and start that in the late summer.

Ellabella

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2018, 15:52:11 PM »
Well done Fran, that's lovely.

It looks very good and it's hard to believe it's your first attempt at quilting.

If I was your SMIL I would really be looking forward to Christmas.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Iminei

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2018, 17:02:00 PM »
The binding was tough. I followed Imi's crib quilt instructions but seem to have come up a little short... despite cutting the binding and using the 1/4" foot it seemed like once turned over the binding wasn't as wide as I had imagined.

You cut 2 1/2" strips yes ??? (just checking) Then it could be your take on a 1/4" seam which is no problem or the fact its your very first binding ... you have to exert some persuasion to the binding to get it to the other side.

I now always iron the binding away from the machined seam, nice and hot, then pin it over the other side and leave it for a day to get used to its new position.

If you dont want the stress and strain on your hands and fingers simply cut the binding wider ... 3" would be good but I've gone wider than that when I want to make a feature of the binding ...

This is the front of the quilt!

Francesca

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2018, 20:14:04 PM »
Yep but when folding it over it seems to be less than an inch. I think the fabric is quite thick and the turn of the cloth hasn't helped. There is no way for me to mitre a corner that neatly. Simply not enough fabric. I think I sewed it a tiny bit over a 1/4" by accident but obviously that's doubled so my binding width is reduced. It looks fine on the main edges, just those corners can't be mitred. Anything else I can do?

Kad

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2018, 20:21:31 PM »
Could you, oh so carefully,  trim the wadding back a little, just like when you trim back interfacing from seamlines during collar/cuff construction when dressmaking? If you can manage to do this, the bulk that the binding has to cover is reduced so allowing the binding strip to wrap around more easily.
Producing patchwork on the periphery of Preston

Francesca

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2018, 20:42:04 PM »
I have already done that on the corners. It's fine on the long stretches of the binding, it's just the corners which are hard to mitre as there isn't enough to work with.

BrendaP

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2018, 13:08:04 PM »
Don't beat yourself up over it, just to your best and it will be fine.  For a first quilt it is superb 0_0

Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/