The Sewing Place

Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners

Pearl

Re: Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:19 AM »
I'm going on a course, @wrenkins .  Sew a dress in a day.  I've never done anything in a day!  If it isn't finished, you get to go back free of charge on another day!   I asked what I need to bring and they said, "Just yourself."  Sounds too good to be true but they only have positive reviews. 

wrenkins

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
That sounds brilliant!!!!
West Midlands has an airport hasn't it? I'll be over in a bit. I wish I could find something like that here. There are no classes of any description that I can find.  :(
I once did a log cabin Christmas tree workshop in a day. It was brilliant and I very nearly got my wall hanging finished. Still to put the binding on...it's been more years than I can even work out!!!
Have a great day!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kwaaked

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
On tracing, I use graphite paper and a wheel onto newspaper from a roll (no printing).  So we all use what is easiest for us in tracing stuff, too.

Pearl

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2018, 18:26:31 PM »
That sounds brilliant!!!!
West Midlands has an airport hasn't it? I'll be over in a bit.

Great, @wrenkins .  Fly in to Birmingham.  I'll pick you up.

I forgot to do "pretty hands".

It is called the 'Date night dress' and is by April Rhodes.  It has a box pleat at the back and French seams, which are good because you sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.  I know what they look like.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 17:55:29 PM by Pearl »

wrenkins

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2018, 18:46:01 PM »
YaaaY! You made a dress!  :toast:  :flower:
I'll bet you're a lil bit pleased with yourself.  0_0
It looks great!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2018, 19:52:30 PM »
Thank you.  Not perfect but...     :toast:

wrenkins

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2018, 19:56:43 PM »
Well done!
I took delivery of a mountain wee bit of fabric today so I really must do something. Anything!!!

Pearl

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 21:33:53 PM »
Round 2

Okay so I have more fabric and would like to make a dress like this one, but with a higher neck/shoulder.  How do I find a pattern?  Preferable something aimed at a beginner.  TIA

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 23:48:23 PM »
Lovely dress. How like it do you want? The general feel of it when you look at it or very similar. Here's a link to a retailer who had it-sold out now.

This is very fitted, buttons down the back, has multiple pleats front and back and will need a light weight cotton or linen to get a similar hang. I've seen dress patterns with this feel that are for knits, are fairly simple and pull over the head. A few wovens too, but you want a higher neck so in a woven you'll need either a zipper or buttons in the back.

Take note of the contrast hem facing, which I think is a lovely detail we could all use more often. I've started using it on pants hems.

I always start in the everyday clothing sections of the Big 4 companies, and also in the easy section if they have it.

Let us know if you want to be doing a zip or buttonholes and we can proceed. I ask as you called this Dressmaking for Dummies and don't know if you've been tackling them yet or want to. I've successfully avoided zips and buttonholes for 20 years because I don't want to fiddle with them anymore. You might love doing them. Some folk do.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2018, 23:53:57 PM »
To browse the patterns of the 'Big 4' and a few others, Jaycotts website is as good as any.
https://jaycotts.co.uk/pages/sewing-patterns

If you see something you like click on it and you'll see other views, the sketch which shows all the seam lines and the fabric requirements.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Pearl

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 18:59:44 PM »
I’m reviving this thread and I’m just off to my first dressmaking class.  I’ll let you know how it goes. 

wrenkins

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2019, 19:07:12 PM »
Oh goody @Pearl. Well done! I do like an adventure.  :ninja:
I wish there was some/any kind of class here. I'd join in a heartbeat.  :snip: :sew: :trousers:
Good luck.  0_0

Pearl

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2019, 21:40:37 PM »
The good news is I'm not as odd as I thought I was.  I've cut out my tunic (and have enough fabric left to make another 2).  Next week - seams.

Manuela

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2019, 01:31:11 AM »
Oh brilliant @Pearl, I am very much looking forward to your adventures in dressmaking  :)

Pearl

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2019, 21:43:12 PM »
 Lesson 2. I’ve done a French seam, two bust darts and made a front facing (because I lost the pattern piece).  Doesn’t look like I’ll have a whole new wardrobe any time soon.