The Sewing Place

Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners

wrenkins

Re: Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2019, 21:52:40 PM »
That's brilliant @Pearl. Small steps.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2019, 22:17:21 PM »
Good for you girl, I really couldn't be ar**s mucking about with facings, interfacings, darts etc. I'd love to wear vintage style dresses like Kirstie Allsop has, but I'd never be able to manage it in a million years
Triumph of hope over experience :D

NatalieSews

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2019, 13:47:53 PM »
I have measured myself and am a size 14 on top and 18 below :o :S.  I'm going to trace my pattern.  What size do I do or do I need to merge the two together? Or go on a crash diet.

If you have a curved ruler you can draw a pencil that crosses from the 14 size line and 18 size line and will be nice and seamless.

Pearl

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2019, 18:15:40 PM »
Thanks, @NatalieSews .   :flower:

When I took my pattern to class, it transpired that the hip measurement was not significant, so my teacher advised me to cut a size 14.  I'll definitely need a curved ruler when I make a dress or I could join the gym.

NatalieSews

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »
@Pearl Have you joined a class?
Theres a class in my area that teaches dressmaking and quilting and I really want to go.

Good luck and remember to show us pictures once you have completed it!

Manuela

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:41 AM »
Thanks, @NatalieSews .   :flower:

When I took my pattern to class, it transpired that the hip measurement was not significant, so my teacher advised me to cut a size 14.  I'll definitely need a curved ruler when I make a dress or I could join the gym.

@Pearl, garments are fitted from the top down. Your start at the shoulder/neck hole and then slowly work your way to the bottom. The logic here is, that everything you change at the top will inevitably result in changes in the rest of the garment.
It is also much easier the make amendments at the waist or hip than, let's say, at the bust or arm hole. Hence, your instructor recommended to start out with a size that fits you at the shoulders.

Pearl

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2019, 17:48:12 PM »
@Pearl Have you joined a class?
Theres a class in my area that teaches dressmaking and quilting and I really want to go.

Good luck and remember to show us pictures once you have completed it!

Yes, @NatalieSews .  I'm doing a 10 week course in dressmaking, although I'm really a darksider.  I also go to quilting classes once a month and a quilters group once or twice a month.  In fact, I'm always out.   :D

Pearl

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 21:36:29 PM »

And after 4 lessons, it was time to try it on and... it's too small.   :angry: (not really angry but frustrating)

Fortunately, I have plenty of fabric, so have cut it out in a bigger size by inserting a 1/2" strip in the middle of the front and back pattern.  At least I know what I'm doing this time, sort of.  (I gave my first attempt to a classmate who is into recycling.  She can make a dress for her small daughter.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 21:38:01 PM by Pearl »

Tamnymore

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 21:56:46 PM »
I remember making a pair of trousers a few years ago. I was absolutely sure they would fit but they were too tight. So I used the same sort of solution by inserting a strip of fabric down the side of each leg.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde