The Sewing Place

Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners

Pearl

Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners
« on: January 10, 2018, 14:58:56 PM »
So I have a pattern (Simplicity 4149) and I'd like to make the tunic.  I've started to look at fabric.  I love this (the blue floral one).  Would it be suitable?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Meter-Indian-Hand-Block-Print-Cotton-Fabric-Dress-Making-Fabric-By-The-Meter/322815524201?hash=item4b294dfd69:m:mls66XgOq-WKSXajchk8Axw

Also, what do I do with the pattern?  Do I just cut it along the solid lines. TIA
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 15:09:02 PM by Pearl »

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 15:11:33 PM »
If it's an all-over random-ish pattern, than that's no different to using plain fabric.
You need to decide what size you are using, then see which lines on the pattern correspond to that size, then cut along them.  There are those who trace the pattern onto paper then cut that out, but personally, I've never done that in my life.  I handle pattern pieces carefully and have used the same ones over and over again.
Good luck, and I'm sure there will be others along as well to help  0_0

Edit:  Just seen your edit, that fabric looks lovely  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 15:13:33 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 15:12:32 PM »

If you don't know this, establish your PATTERN size (not the same as ready to wear) by looking at the measurements on the

back of the envelop.  Don't be upset if it turns to be two or even three sizes above what you normally buy, this is normal. I prefer to trace off my pattern, but you can cut along the size indication lines.  As there aren't too may seams, a patterned fabric would be okay, but be guided by the suggested fabrics.

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 15:15:12 PM »
Thanks, both.  Fabric ordered!

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 15:15:38 PM »
So I have a pattern (Simplicity 4149) and I'd like to make the tunic.  I've started to look at fabric.  I love this (the blue floral one).  Would it be suitable?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Meter-Indian-Hand-Block-Print-Cotton-Fabric-Dress-Making-Fabric-By-The-Meter/322815524201?hash=item4b294dfd69:m:mls66XgOq-WKSXajchk8Axw

Also, what do I do with the pattern?  Do I just cut it along the solid lines. TIA

Hi Pearl. Yes, solids are easier than patterns but it doesn't really matter so long as its not a one-way design (where there's a definite right way up) because you wouldn't have to match it.

When cutting out the pattern, if you have a multi-size pattern, cut along the size that fits you. If it is not a one-way pattern and there is only one size in the envelope, then cut along the solid outer line. Some like to preserve the pattern itself and put tracing paper over it and trace it.

I usually measure the bust, waist  and hip measurements on the paper pattern and compare to my own before cutting. If I need to add a little bit, I might try to do it on the tissue pattern and draw a new side seam line - and then cut. It really depends on the style, though, and what you are making as to whether you can get away with making the adjustment on the side seams.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 15:17:33 PM by Sewbee »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 15:16:01 PM »
I would also check the size of your cut out pattern pieces against a similar garment - dunno about other people, but I often find them a bit wide across the shoulders.

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 15:17:32 PM »
I think you should make a toile Pearl.. this is a trial garment using an old sheet then you could check the fit before you cut into your nice fabric...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 15:21:19 PM »
Thanks, Vege.   I can do that while I'm waiting for the fabric to arrive.

If I wanted to trace the pattern, do I need special paper? 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 15:22:55 PM by Pearl »

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 15:38:51 PM »
@Pearl: tracing paper is ideal - I buy mine on a big roll - but so long as you can see through the paper to the pattern underneath, it doesn't have to be anything special.  I have heard of freezer paper, but have never had to investigate this option.

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 15:48:46 PM »
I have heard of freezer paper, but have never had to investigate this option.

Oh, I have freezer paper that I use for FPP patchwork.

Holly Berry

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 16:25:56 PM »
I would also recommend a great book not only for beginners but also for when you become a bit more advanced, it’s Alison Smiths The Sewing Book.

I use Burda paper to trace off patterns https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burda-Tissue-Paper-Dressmaking-110x150cm/dp/B01N0487NR

Good luck and remember we are all willing to help
Procrastination get behind me

Madame Cholet

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 16:35:11 PM »
I looked at the pattern envelope pic in UR's post, and got really excited - I thought the skirt drawings were really funky flares, and I thought 'ooh so they're trendy again! I'll have some of those'.... then I put my reading specs on....   :S :fish:

There was a discussion recently here about tracing paper, here's a link to the thread:
http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,2801.msg40588.html#msg40588

The medical pattern paper roll mentioned in the thread is 75 yards long, and I am really very happy with the roll I bought, but perhaps you don't need that quantity right now!

Sewbee

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 17:07:45 PM »
I looked at the pattern envelope pic in UR's post, and got really excited - I thought the skirt drawings were really funky flares, and I thought 'ooh so they're trendy again! I'll have some of those'.... then I put my reading specs on....   :S :fish:

There was a discussion recently here about tracing paper, here's a link to the thread:
http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,2801.msg40588.html#msg40588

The medical pattern paper roll mentioned in the thread is 75 yards long, and I am really very happy with the roll I bought, but perhaps you don't need that quantity right now!

I think a medical paper roll is better actually, but where do you find it in the UK? In the USA a friend who was a nurse gave me a roll and it lasted years.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 17:18:10 PM »
I think a medical paper roll is better actually, but where do you find it in the UK? In the USA a friend who was a nurse gave me a roll and it lasted years.

I clicked on the link to Amazon.com in UR's post in the thread.. which took me to this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AH74VO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: link was in Hachi's post, not UR's, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 17:19:50 PM by Madame Cholet »