The Sewing Place

Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners

Madame Cholet

Re: Dressmaking for (Dummies) Beginners
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 17:21:51 PM »
So my roll of medical pattern paper wasn't from the UK, but from the US. It only took 2 days to arrive though.

Sewbee

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 17:23:28 PM »
Going to order some. :D

Madame Cholet

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 17:26:03 PM »

Pearl

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 19:56:35 PM »
Okay, so I have medical roll paper and a sheet and am ready to start working on my toile in the next couple of days.

Silly question alert - does the pattern include the seam allowance?

Surest1tch

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 21:40:42 PM »
Simplicity patterns usually include the seam allowance, if you read the envelope it will tell you how much, it's usually 5/8" but do read it and double check.

Pearl

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 13:40:59 PM »
I have measured myself and am a size 14 on top and 18 below :o :S.  I'm going to trace my pattern.  What size do I do or do I need to merge the two together? Or go on a crash diet.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 13:54:39 PM by Pearl »

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 13:48:04 PM »
Oh goodie. Dressmaking for dimmies dummies darksiders.  0_0 I've just ordered a pattern.  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 14:00:54 PM »
I have measured myself and am a size 14 on top and 18 below :o :S.  I'm going to trace my pattern.  What size do I do or do I need to merge the two together?

I think that size 14 is in the next size range up, so you should be able to 'blend' the sizes.  I haven't had to do this, but there will be those who have.

Pearl

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 16:03:23 PM »
Thanks, @UttaRetch .  I've watched a YouTube video (whatever did we do....).

Bogwoppit

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 19:32:53 PM »
On your sheet version you could mark the size 18 and 14 sides, tack a line starting at the 14 bust, moving towards 18 waist/hips and see how that fits.

I'm the other way up measurment wise and did the reverse on a tunic, found out the 16 was fine all the way round so made that on my nice fabric.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 21:51:03 PM »
I have measured myself and am a size 14 on top and 18 below :o :S.  I'm going to trace my pattern.  What size do I do or do I need to merge the two together? Or go on a crash diet.
As a general rule if you are making a dress, blouse or jacket then you go with your bust measurement and grade to your hips. If you are making skirts or trousers choose the pattern according to your waist measurement. You may find this useful.
Just to complicate things don't forget fashion ease. i.e. the amount of "spare fabric" in a garment over and above your body measurements. These will be printed on the pattern piece where you see the symbol a cross in a circle, usually at the bust waist and hips, or on the pattern envelope depending on the make. You may find that your pattern is large enough with the ease built in to choose a different size if you wanted a more fitted/looser fit. Another resource you might find useful is this ease chart You will soon get the hang of it.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Pearl

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 05:16:54 AM »
Well, today's the day.   :ninja:

:fabric: :snip: :sew: :frock:

Pics later (hopefully).

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 08:30:40 AM »
 :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :frock::trousers::shirt:?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 08:33:19 AM »
 :frock:

wrenkins

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 08:36:30 AM »
Go big or go home eh?
I'm very excited. I hope you'll be charting your progress and I can't wait to see how you get on.
Good Luck!
Ready! Steady! Sew!  :sew: