The Sewing Place

Pfaff 30 Soton

Roger

Pfaff 30 Soton
« on: January 09, 2018, 21:51:39 PM »
Hi All,

I’m at it again- lovely pfaff 30 in South Hampton currently not a lot, collection only, apparently the postal service damaged the base.

Vintage Powerful Pfaff 30 Sewing Machine https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202177939464

My Pfaff 30 is a lovely machine very shiny and once set up they’re unfussy and smooth sitchers- straight stitch only they’re very quiet but mine has a heck of a decent punch and a lovely neat stitch.

Be warned it weighs a ton!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ohsewsimple

Re: Pfaff 30 Soton
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 18:21:26 PM »
Ooh that is in nice condition apart from the case damage.  Mine had a thin pin cushion taped to the front over the name so it's all scratched.  :'(.   As you say, works lovely and mine was almost free so can't grumble.  But.....it is Southampton!!   Oh ummmm where am I??   Do I need another one? 

Roger

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 21:27:00 PM »
i always find the thin pin cushions and neck scratches to be very sad... but they do speak of a well used tool, and give a machine character.

Thats my problem... how many straight stitchers does one person need? they are lovely classic machines but they only do one job.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 13:21:56 PM »
How disappointing and disgraceful that the base was damaged in transit; apart from that it looks like a lovely machine.
I have heard some real horror stories regarding sewing machines damaged during delivery, usually due to inadequate packaging; if I ever posted a sewing machine anywhere I would assume that at some point on its journey there would be a chance of it being dropped, and so I would attempt to prepare the packaging accordingly.
I once chatted to someone who worked for Parcelforce - this was in the 80's so I am hopeful that the culture has since changed - and they let slip that any package marked 'fragile' was given extra rough treatment by certain individuals so inclined.  :(

arrow

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 13:44:14 PM »
Nothing has improved in that department Madame Cholet; there have been a few horror stories reported every year. The last one I heard was this autumn. I hardly trust my self carrying things up and down stairs, but I think it's pretty safe in the back of a car, on the floor next to the driver seat or something like that. At least compared to a trip in the mail service. You literally have to pack it ready for being thrown out of a plain and land in a parachute to be on the safe side. Extra agressivness towards the fragile label seams a bit odd though?

We live on earth, not that much has really improved 30 years on, humans are pretty much the same. The electronic equipment are more wide spread and advanced and we have more cars. Some of us thinks the clothes we wear now look much better  :P

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 14:38:50 PM »
Extra agressivness towards the fragile label seams a bit odd though?

From what I gathered from the conversation it was treated as some kind of sporting pastime in that particular sorting office. Also items were stolen too... or so the person said. I do hope that side of the culture has been weeded out by now. 

I have always collected every sewing machine purchase I have made in person, for the same reasons you quote, and I have had some excellent days out with friends and also memorable overnight trips with my daughter as a result  :)
And bearing in mind that to date I have never been able to part with any of my machines, I may never need pack one up for transit, lol.
It must be said though that machines tend to sell for much more on ebay when the seller offers delivery.

We live on earth, not that much has really improved 30 years on, humans are pretty much the same. The electronic equipment are more wide spread and advanced and we have more cars. Some of us thinks the clothes we wear now look much better  :P

Yes, the potential for succumbing to corruption and temptation, for whatever reason, seems to be some kind of function of humanity in general, throughout history  :'( 
Personally I love most 60s and 70s styling and would wear much of it in preference to most up-to-date designs  :loveit: 

Madame Cholet

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 17:24:05 PM »
The Pfaff sold for £46.00, here's hoping it went to a good home.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 18:23:22 PM »
The Pfaff sold for £46.00, here's hoping it went to a good home.

Me too.   And no, it wasn't me! :)

Roger

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 21:46:51 PM »
Not guilty or close enough!

daisy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 22:13:23 PM »
I've have mixed experiences getting machines sent by post/courier. No complete catastrophes but plenty of broken spool pins. All of the problems occurred when the sellers wrapped the outside of the case really well, but didn't put any padding inside to stop the heavy machine from smashing around when moved.

I never spend much of any of my purchases so I figure that it's worth the risk (there's rarely anything locally), but I definitely wouldn't risk it with a valuable sewing machine.