The Sewing Place

[SOLVED] Unread Topics

Missie

[SOLVED] Unread Topics
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:24 AM »
Suddenly I have 137 pages of unread topics, most dating back to last year.  It normally shows just the latest unread topics, not everything since time began.  Is it just me?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:36:16 AM by Francesca »

Sewbee

Re: Unread Topics
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »
No, it's me, too. I actually hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. I only usually go back a page or so anyway so it's okay. I think Fran perhaps had to delete the "recent" option to make room for "mentions".

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »
I`m only getting a couple - the same as usual

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:49 AM »
Me too!  I thought something felt different, but it must be the new changes kicking in.  :(

I'm a creature of habit me .......  ><

I'm sure I'll get used to it.....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:00:45 AM »
If you click on the 'Mark ALL messages as read' button, all the old topics should have disappeared the next time you use 'All unread topics'.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »
That’s what I just did, then I couldn’t remember where this thread was.... Doh!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »
I always press "Mark all topics as read " everytime I leave "unread topics " I'm only seeing a few recent ones ( today's )  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
I always press "Mark all topics as read " everytime I leave "unread topics " I'm only seeing a few recent ones ( today's )  :)
Likewise
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »
Hey there! Sorry about this one. It was intentional, but for those who haven't before viewed this page it will look odd.

"Recent unread topics" was buggy and a lot of people were complaining that it often didn't work. That's because it was "recent" but the way the software decided what was "recent" didn't match up with what a lot of people expected.

There is another page available in the software which is just "unread topics" aka every topic you've never read. This seemed to be favoured over "recent" because it just gives you an update of all the topics you haven't seen, rather then deciding for you what is "recent" (which was sometimes only a few hours depending on your session length).

So when I implemented the Mentions tab I also took the time to switch the topics you can choose from Recent Unreads to just Unreads.

Those of you who have never visited the Unreads page before will have a lot of backlog. But this is an easy fix and will only occur on the first time you view this page. My suggestion: from the new Unreads page, open up all the topics that interest you and when you're done, click "mark all topics as read".

You'll never see the topics from last year again unless they are updated. Hope that makes sense.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:39 AM »
Perfect sense Fran, but it surprised me too ... who'ld've thunk we have been such a busy, chatty forum with over 90 odd pages of topics ?! Woo Hooo!!! TSP is GO!

Thank you for all your hard work over the past year but especially the last week or so.
Updating a forum will naturally take a lil time and a while to bed in but I hope the our TSP'ers will understand and appreciate the improvements!

Enjoy everyone, TSP is thriving and going from strength to strength!  0_0
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again