The Sewing Place

January - A Squall at Sea

Iminei

January - A Squall at Sea
« on: January 11, 2018, 11:26:07 AM »
So there I was browsing T'internet in search of inspiration when i came across a pattern ....

The author said this was a pieced pattern with a 12 1/2" central block, I printed this out and studied it for a while and decided that it would have to be far too accurate for me to be able to 'free' piece it and one block would be something like 20" square, ideal if you wanted a quick quilt but maybe not as good for the optical illusion I seemed to see in front of me.

I halved the measurements, drew out a pattern and suddenly I found myself with a paper pieced pattern for a block that is almost, but not quite a Storm at Sea block.

I made every single mistake in the book making these blocks but by the end of 5, I am reasonably happy with the way they have gone together .... They are certainly not perfect and even PP'ing them, some seams don't quite match as well as I think they should  :S but I got better with each one I made (I think)

You only see 4 here! The prototype was a slightly different size and if ever used would find a spot on the back of any quilt that I made with the blocks (as so many 1st blocks do!!)

......... sooooooo if you fancy having a go, I have made a tut (I generally make tuts to remind myself how to make blocks) and can send you (I think) PDF's of the templates to go with it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Ey6IBcUeqkUlsNj1

I would love to see your versions .........
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:55:56 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

Re: A Squall at Sea
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:29:31 AM »
EEK!! :o :o
Fortunately, I don't do paper piecing  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
My thoughts too! :o
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 16:55:11 PM »
Very nice,  I've never done any paper piecing. Maybe something to put in the "to try" file.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Deafoldbat

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 19:07:38 PM »
 I haven't seen a variation before with 8-sided pieces in the centres/6-sided in the sashes before. Where did you find that?

supergran

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 19:58:43 PM »
I really like that Imi. I wouldn't mind having a go if you can send me the PP PDF. I enjoy paper piecing, mad person that I am.  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:39:09 AM »
 I haven't seen a variation before with 8-sided pieces in the centres/6-sided in the sashes before. Where did you find that?

I was googling for BOM ideas and it came up as a (very large) regularly pieced block.
I halved the measurements(ish) realised there was no way I would get those points meeting accurately and drew the design up ...

Its not A Storm at Sea design per se, just has that look if you squint and focus on the white so hence it became The Squall at Sea.

I'll try and send you the pattern SG ...

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
I really like that.  I've just made the image really small to see the overall effect (it was either that or get out of my chair and stand further away...) and it's lovely  - circles and stars.   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 22:51:29 PM »
Here's mine - just the one block:

8)

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
Better points than mine too !!! You're obviously a natural MCholet!

Did you piece or PP it???

Do we need  a PP BOM HOF ??????

or even a PP BOM ???????
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:40:07 AM by Iminei »

Madame Cholet

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »
Better points than mine too !!! You're obviously a natural MCholet!

Did you piece or PP it???

Do we need  a PP BOM HOF ??????

or even a PP BOM ???????

I paper pieced it. I used my quilting ruler to draw out exact copies of your templates from the tute. Then I scanned and printed those. I have an A4 pad of children's tracing paper and so I printed the duplicate templates on to sheets of that.

The fabric is the polycotton shirting charity shop find I used in January's BOM, and an old Ikea cotton apron. The finished block is a practice piece which happily turned out quite well.

I have never done paper piecing before. It is indeed a very peculiar concept to wrap one's head around! It felt satisfying to sew through the paper however as it made a very pleasing crunching sound as the needle passed through, and it reminded me of the first time I ever used a sewing machine - my grandad's hand crank Jones - when I was tiny, pretending to sew sheets of paper. And I enjoyed tearing away the paper afterwards as it reminded me of tearing off stamps (...and also the scene in Terry Pratchett's 'Hogfather' 'Going Postal' where the concept of stamps is born...).

I may use the block towards making a bag. I have never made bags, and it is a skill set I would very much like to learn, so I think I will probably begin with something relatively straightforward and make a tote, using the block as a decorative panel.

I enjoyed making this block - Thank you Imi  :loveit:

There are so many transferable skills which I am discovering via my forays into P&Q. How to hold and cut with a rotary cutter and keeping your lines straight and what pressure to use. How to wield a monster of a quilting ruler, placing it down on the fabric to be cut and not have the fabric waft away as you place it down, the best way to hold it, what pressure to use. Rotary cutting is a technique which I am falling in love with, although it has taken me quite a lot of practice to even start to get the hang of it. And paper piecing too. I am certain that technique can be used elsewhere - outside of P&Q - as well.  :ninja: 

I am hoping at some point to make a quilt. I'm developing my skills and knowledge in the meantime. Then at some point when it feels right I shall dive in and do it. :snip:

Edited as I got the Pratchett reference wrong...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 19:59:31 PM by Madame Cholet »

supergran

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 19:04:53 PM »
Here's mine. I just did the one block but maybe when I have some time I'll do something bigger with it.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 19:25:48 PM »
I halved the measurements(ish) realised there was no way I would get those points meeting accurately and drew the design up ...

You mean you started with a regular Storm at Sea? In that case, you realise you now have 8 points to match rather than 4? Or have I misunderstood you?

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
No, Deaf ... not a SAS ...

It was a block I found whilst trawling for ideas for the BOM and tho' I know where I found it, I cant for the life of me remember the name of the block and there are thousands of links.

It was a regularly pieced block that started with a 12 1/2" square in the centre .... which I sort of halved to 6 1/2" ... as the resultant block from the original measurements would have been far too big for the BOM (I am trying to keep them to a similar size this year!)

So not a Storm at Sea start at all ... I wish I could remember the name!

SuperGran, that is beautiful, very crisp and clean ... Did you PP it?

supergran

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 19:07:01 PM »
Yes, Imi, I did PP it although I found I had to fudge the blocks a bit to get them to meet properly. The SAS was easier to be honest.