The Sewing Place

FMQ Newbie!

KayK

FMQ Newbie!
« on: March 10, 2017, 22:26:55 PM »
I've just started FMQ ... sometimes successfully, sometimes not as no doubt to be expected!  a few questions for you all - does your machine favour certain threads?  My Pfaff 'what a performance' seems to like rayon threads and the 'invisible' threads, and seems to hate quilting cotton, and any Gutermann threads - it seems to shred them with a vengeance!  I have new needles, no burrs on the needle plate but still shreds!  The same happens on my trusty Singer 401... :vintage:....I have no trouble for ages, and then ping!! off they go!

Ive have been practicing on old polycotton sheets with a thin layer of batting between them, and sometimes the fabric seems to 'stick' and I can't seem to slide it very easily.....is this usual?

However, I am really enjoying it, and am quite surprised how addictive it is!!

All help and  instruction gratefully received!! :sew: >:)
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Sheilago

Re: FMQ Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 23:45:43 PM »
Hi, I have been learning fmq too over the last couple of years. As you say, sometimes it goes well and other times not so smoothly!
 Do you wear rubber fingered gloves? I found they made a huge difference : my hands get really sore without them. I also use a bit of silicone polish on my machine to help make the quilt slip around more easily.
 It is addictive and I find it strangely relaxing ( if it goes  well!). I have just finished the biggest quilt I've ever fmq'd and though it wouldn't win any prizes, I am getting better with practice- I love doing leaves and flowers. There are a few little puckers , but it's only for my son, so he'll hopefully not notice! ( He was feeling a bit left out as I'd made so many quilts, but never one for him) .

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
I'm sorry  :| but I consider FMQ to be totally the work of 1000  :devil: :devil:
However, re thread. My Brother machine doesn't like any Gutterman threads  >:) no idea why, but it downs tools when any G.thread comes within striking distance   :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »
I haven't ventured into FMQ yet but have done a few practice sandwiches.  I have a Pfaff Ambition (probably a poor relation to yours). I haven't been choosy about the thread or needle that I use and have had no problem with 100% cotton thread or Gutterman polyester.  The only problem I've had is operator error.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
My old Pfaff is very easy going, and I have never had any problem with thread - it takes any old stuff.

I've not done any fmq for ages, but I remember driving myself mad until I found the 'secret Pfaff feature'  - half up, half down take up lever!  I don't know if all the Pfaff models have this, but my Pfaff 1475 won't perform without it! :)

I found a quick cheat for sandwiches, was to use an old mattress protector.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 13:08:11 PM »
Sorry K...Im with Low on this...

FMQ is the work of the devil... :devil:

and also (and apologies for this)...but if you post in Current Projects we generally expect some pics of them...mmmnn?

Someone on TSF posted a really good 'How to FMQ' tut late last year...Can anyone remember who it was???
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 14:30:47 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lantana

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 15:56:51 PM »
I've done the odd bit of FMQ on small projects where it doesn't really matter if things go wrong .... not had thread problems yet but just as Ploshkin said 'operator error'. I'd love to get good enough to tackle a full size quilt but to be honest I'm not even confident about 'normal' quilting and loads of my projects stall just short of the stage when I'll need to quilt them!  :(

L x

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 18:04:16 PM »
Norty Lantana  :ninja: You'll end up with a pile of unfinished projects that way, just like some other people on here ( who should be setting a better example  :P ) No new projects until all else is finished. I couldn't sleep at night with unfinished quilts hanging over me like the sword of Damocles  :D

Lantana

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 18:31:39 PM »
Norty Lantana  :ninja: You'll end up with a pile of unfinished projects that way, just like some other people on here ( who should be setting a better example  :P ) No new projects until all else is finished. I couldn't sleep at night with unfinished quilts hanging over me like the sword of Damocles  :D

I consider myself well and truly told off! (But as you've hinted I'm not the only one so I don't feel too guilty!)

Believe it or not I am actually working on things I've started and haven't actually begun a new quilt since I moved. All the same I dare not tell you exactly how many UFO's I have to work on! Lets just say I have plenty of scope! Oh and it's not just quilts. I actually FINISHED knitting a jumper I started 5 years ago and every morning I do a thread or two of the cross stitch giraffe I started mumble mumble ago.

Just off to put a 'cloak of invisibility' over the sewing shed in case Lowena drops by!

L X

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 18:54:14 PM »
Lantana! The road to Hell is paved with good intentions  :devil:
Beware the retribution of the Quilting Ninja  :ninja: :ninja:........ #justsaying

Lantana

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 19:05:35 PM »
Lantana! The road to Hell is paved with good intentions  :devil:
Beware the retribution of the Quilting Ninja  :ninja: :ninja:........ #justsaying

Are the Quilting Ninjas as scarey as the Quilting Police? Cos I'm ever so scared of them! Yikes !!!

L X

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 19:08:58 PM »
Far,far worse ........ we have ways of making you toe the line............very effective ways and our ability to strike knows no bounds........Respect the  :ninja: :ninja:

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 19:12:31 PM »
Mind you, retribution will have to wait as I have to go and make dinner now ( tuna steaks,thanks for asking  :D )
Sorry for hijacking your thread  :| Kay, I'm glad you're enjoying FMQ { shudders } please post piccys when you've finished :)

Lantana

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 19:50:11 PM »
Far,far worse ........ we have ways of making you toe the line............very effective ways and our ability to strike knows no bounds........Respect the  :ninja: :ninja:

No wonder you are able to keep those Penzance Pirates in order ... you and your Ninjas are very very fearsome I'm going into hiding now ... oh heck just as I thought I was safe.

Yes apologies for the hijack Kay. I look forward to hearing you are mastering it and seeing photos as it will inspire so many of the rest of us!

L X

Deafoldbat

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
Leaving aside all these thread hi-jackers who seem to think because they can't do something nobody else should try (now they'll all have the hump ;)), FMQ isn't entirely the work of the devil, but does require the p-word - practice.

Use good quality thread, of the same weight top and bottom. For practice, try 50wt cotton - needn't be expensive stuff, and have a larger needle - try a 90. Make up some quilt sandwiches. Polycotton may not be the best choice as the weave is tighter than plain cotton. Use those FQs you've had for years and don't really like, or get some calico. Then set up the machine, dropped feed dogs and darning foot, and stop with needle down, and play. The trick is moving the quilt to match the machine speed. It doesn't have to be flat out, find the speed you're comfortable with. If you can regulate the speed of the machine, you may find this helps, especially if the foot pedal is stiff. I'm not familiar with your machine, but my old Pfaff has a half-speed setting. If you have a straight stitch needle plate, put that in as that reduces any flexing of the needle if the quilt drags or you corner too fast. You may have to play with the tension a bit to get a balanced stitch. Usually adjusting the top tension will work. Once you find the right setting, make a note of it, then you can find it again. Other things to remember: don't take your hands off the fabric until the machine has stopped, with the needle down (if you haven't got this option make sure you turn the wheel before you let go completely) and take your foot off the pedal before turning the quilt round. Make sure you have a hold on the work before you set off again. And don't be over-critical of your efforts. They will get better, and only the quilt police (or those pesky  :ninja: :ninja:) will take a magnifying glass to it (and that's just sad :P).