The Sewing Place

FMQ Newbie!

Lowena

Re: FMQ Newbie!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 11:34:26 AM »
Ooh, DOB, you have the  :devil: in you this morning  :P
Me and my  :ninja: :ninja: posse never take a magnifier to anything... we appreciate a tryer and wish everyone daft brave enough to tackle FMQ the best of luck.  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 13:31:33 PM »
Perhaps we should have a SOM (Sandwich Of the Month) so that those trying to master the art can hold hands (metaphorically speaking of course otherwise it would be a right mess) and who knows even persuade some of those who think it's the devil's work to have a go.  I can't see me ever doing an entire quilt with FMQ but would like to feel reasonably proficient to do a few bits.
Life's too short for ironing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 20:26:34 PM »
I can't see me ever doing an entire quilt with FMQ but would like to feel reasonably proficient to do a few bits.

If you just do a bit at a time, you will eventually do the whole thing...

Sandwich of the Month. Hmm... could be open to misinterpretation. Quilted lettuce anyone?

I thought FMQ was the devil's work once, mainly because everyone but me was good at it. I have practised, however, and while it may never be championship level, it has got better. The QP probably wouldn't agree, but I hope the  :ninja: :ninja: posse would concede it's okay for everyday stuff.

Lantana

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 23:18:31 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement and the tips DOB. (I wasn't one of the 'work of the devilers' by the way I'd love to be able to do  it!) I just find the quilting problematic full stop. Even getting the sandwich prepared (on big projects) is daunting I haven't got a big enough floor space in my current home. Someone on TSF once posted a vid about how to do it on a table with skewers so I bought the skewers and the clamps but haven't tried it yet.  There's always something I could be getting on with instead. <whistle>.

L x

Deafoldbat

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
I haven't got a big enough floor space

I gave up using the floor - too hard on the knees!

You can use a large table and clamp the layers to that - large bulldog clips, or use heavy books to hold things still. The table doesn't have to be big enough to take the whole thing; just slide the quilt along to the next section and take a moment to make sure the layers are smooth, then reclamp. Why would you need skewers?

StitchinTime

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 11:18:41 AM »
I found some plant clips in BM Bargains a few years ago for a couple of pounds and the larger size is ideal for clipping quilts to the table. For larger quilts, I have a sheet of plywood/MDF that I put on the table and use with clothes pegs.

I've seen tutorials that tape crossed wooden skewers to the table/floor for when you need to centre a backing with a quilt top. You can feel the skewers through the layers and use them to align the centre points.

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
I sandwich mine on our Kingsize bed. Strip it down to the mattress and it's firm enough and not a bad height.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
I'm doing Imi' s Block of The Month and aim to make the blocks into cushion covers.

These hopefully will be a good size to practice FMQ on.

I also bought (in a moment of extravagance) as set of Westalee rulers and if I can get the hang of them feel they may be a good compromise.

My main problem is working out the design I want to quilt, I tend to do a lot of echo quilting within shapes.  I need to be braver.

maliw

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »
I've done quite a bit of FMQ just stippling and I've used Moon thread or the stuff I get from Ababkhan, no problems except if the thread breaks. Must get into proper patterned FMQ, I like the Leah Day tutorials.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lantana

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 18:06:59 PM »
DOB I see the skewers have been explained by Stitchintime thanks!

I've got the clamps after finding out the bull dog clips wouldn't work on my table (too deep). What I still can't see is how having clamped it all down you get your chosen tacking method in  ... gun, safety pins or needle and thread.

Lowena the thought of stripping the bed tacking a double quilt and then remaking the bed sounds like a lot of energy I'd need a spare bed so as not to have to do it all in one day. Last time I tacked a quilt it took a couple of days on the floor! Other than that your idea does make sense! :)

L X

Lantana

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 18:13:35 PM »

Hi Elabella I also bought (in a moment of extravagance) as set of Westalee rulers and if I can get the hang of them feel they may be a good compromise.

My main problem is working out the design I want to quilt, I tend to do a lot of echo quilting within shapes.  I need to be braver.

Yes I did the same (was it when The cotton Patch had tham on sale that you got tempted like me?) I still haven't tried them as like you I need to be braver .... as per the script at the bottom of my posts  0_0